Ebay items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ebay items

Post by BigDavy »

Apart from the Childress set there are these items currently on Ebay

K&Q bellows.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Koehler-Quinn-Uille ... dZViewItem

Battered old practice set - does anybody have an idea as to the maker???
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Uilleann-ba ... dZViewItem

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Jeff Cullen
antispam: No

Post by Jeff Cullen »

From the seller's description, and from what I can tell from the photos, there are only 6 holes on the front of the chanter of the practice set. Hmmm.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Is it me or is the chanter set up incorrectly? Looks like the bell of the chanter has been fitted into the chanter top. :boggle:

This seller joins the lady with the drones over her shoulder.
PJ
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

My name is Enigo Montoya... I am looking for the six fingered man....
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Denis Brooks talked about something like that at the Seattle tionol a few years ago. You add a foot to the bell and lower the chanter down to C. I think the fingering becomes simpler, no two fingers off for E.... Closer to a pastoral pipe.

OOPS-my bad- I didn't see the chanter top -forget what I wrote
Last edited by fel bautista on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Also note the old practice set is listed as a multi item auction, something I have came across for the first time earlier this week when at auction's end I was listed as winner, at the starting bid rather than my maximum, and still didn't get the item I wanted (I got a refund by the seller who didn't understand it either).
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Are the mounts ivory?
PJ
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

PJ wrote:Are the mounts ivory?
Hard to say. On the few close-up shots I don´t recognise the ivory-typical grain, though. I guess they ARE bone. Their size would support this, too (esp. see chanter-top)
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Jeff Cullen wrote:From the seller's description, and from what I can tell from the photos, there are only 6 holes on the front of the chanter of the practice set. Hmmm.
"There are six finger holes on one side and one thumb hole on the back."
PJ

Post by PJ »

I emailed the seller who confirmed the 6 plus 1. I also pointed out that the set was incorrectly assembled. He replied that this is how he received it. He acknowledges that the multi-item auction was an error.

The auction has been ended in any case.
PJ
PJ

Post by PJ »

Relisted to correct the multi item auction error. The other errors are still there :wink: :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Uilleann-ba ... dZViewItem

I particularly like the way that the chanter is resting in its reed. If a reed can't put up with this sort of treatment, it's not worth having. :boggle:
PJ
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

The poor reed's all chipped and broken :( Plus there's a huge gouge below the reed seat (let's hope the chanter wasn't broken at that point!). Does the reed look a little thick? Or like it has a funny ridge down the centerline? Maybe my computer's off.

Oh yeah, it's bone. If you look at the bellows intake you can see where the blood vessels used to be.
Last edited by Dionys on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Peter Laban wrote:Also note the old practice set is listed as a multi item auction...
Multi-item auctions are for multiple units of identical things, as in someone with 10 identical cameras to dispose of. They're not for a single unique item. I'd suggest sending the vendor a note explaning, and suggesting that he cancel this auction and start again.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
PJ

Post by PJ »

s1m0n wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:Also note the old practice set is listed as a multi item auction...
Multi-item auctions are for multiple units of identical things, as in someone with 10 identical cameras to dispose of. They're not for a single unique item. I'd suggest sending the vendor a note explaning, and suggesting that he cancel this auction and start again.
The original auction was ended and the item relisted exactly because of this. The new auction is for a single item. I still wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, regardless of how many holes it has on the front or behind.
PJ
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

PJ wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
The original auction was ended and the item relisted exactly because of this. The new auction is for a single item. I still wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, regardless of how many holes it has on the front or behind.
Apparently some people would touch it as there are a few bids. Don't people know to get the best bargan you wait until the end of the auction before bidding? Silly people.
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.