A description of the Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

There area a lot of new people to the pipes here and people wanting to learn more about pipes before investing in them.

So, for a description of the various parts of the pipes and their function have a look at:
http://www.concentric.net/~pdarcy/page3/page3.shtml

All the best,

Patrick.
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

Patrick:

Thanks for posting the link. I'm sure it will be very helpful. I'm so glad to see you participating in this board!

Teri
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Patrick,
Yes, welcome to the C&F board. I've been to your website quite often (my favorite pipes site along with Na Píobairí Uilleann), and it is there I have found a great deal of maker info in the message board discussions.
More than once I have been caught there "cheating" on the C&F board. :smile:

Ailin
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Hi Patrick!

I hope posting the link to this board on yours isn't considered overstepping my bounds! I figured the more information we can get on pipes, makers, and the playability of different sets/components, the world will be a happier place! :smile:

I hope this board may be as helpful a resource to others as yours has been to me.

Welcome, and a very heartfelt thank you sir!

Brian~
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi Brian,

Not at all. This a is a great message board, much more functional then mine currently. Mine has gotten too big. There is tonns of information on my board though that I wan tto bring over to a new message board system. I have been looking at this one (phpBB) and need to talk to my ISP about it. Hopefully something will happen soon.

I agree. The more info and resources out there the better.

Thanks for the welcomes :smile:

Patrick.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Just searching through the archives today and was reminded of what a great site Patrict D'Arcy has created. Lots of new members since his original post.
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Ah, yes, welcome to Chiff, Patrick!! HaHa! So how long have you been playing the pipes?

That aside... sure hope I run into again somewhere, so I show you how much I've progressed since last we met.
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

What?
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Pat.. during my morning reverie today I waz thinking about the description of the pipes and a few oddities came into my mind!!
The generally accepted nomenclature for the various sets are Practice Half 3/4 and full so far so good...
What happens when you add/deduct thingy bits as has been done since the early days?
eg 4 drones where not uncommon and are making a comeback(although some would have us believe that they are newly invented!!) does that make the half set a half set or a half and a bit??
Again a 4th or even 5th regulator where certainly around in the last Century and before,so what shall we call that?
A lot of the very early sets just had the one regulator what should we call that?
Finally given that the regulators are called Tenor baritone and basswhy is it that they are actually trebles and alto?
Ps where did the 1/4 set come from?
:sleep:
Slan go foill
Liam