reeds and weather

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

I'm sure this has been covered before, but to help me now and others new to the pipes: What are the problems one must be aware of when buying pipes from (in this case) Ireland that come here to the USA, Midwest?

and: if I buy from someone in Ireland, must I find a reed maker here and replace the reed(s) that come with the chanter?

My intention is to buy only a practice set, take lessons and learn it, then buy a 1/2 set from someone else in a few years down the road.

I guess, I need to know: conditions and temperature wise, is it most advisable to buy locally? And if not, must I be prepared to buy reeds separately and locally? Thanks
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

Humidity and temperature will both affect the reed. It may be that your reed will work, even comming from Ireland, if the temp and humidity are similar. I don't think Milwaukee's much like Ireland, though. You may also be able to adjust the reed once it comes to work for you in your weather conditions. Or an experienced player may be able to help you do this.

I've received chanters from England and Ireland and had the whole range of reeds working fine to not working at all. If yours comes and has trouble in your climate, and you cannot adjust the reed to work for you, you may have to resort to having a local reed-maker make you a new chanter reed. If you're going to do that, you might as well buy locally from a good maker, unless you can get a practice set from someone who is worth the trouble of ordering from Ireland.

Your guess is pretty accurate. It's advisable to buy locally, especially if you're a beginner. This is not law, however, and you don't have to buy locally as long as you are prepared for the possiblity that you will have to have it re-reeded locally.

This also isn't law, however. I recently made and sent off a reed for someone in Florida with a Quinn chanter and according to her the reed is functioning perfectly. I don't know what the humidity and temp is like there, but I'm guessing it's quite a bit higher than where I am.

Dionys
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Dionys... it's VERY hot and humid in Miami Florida with temperatures currently 90 degrees F. Add air conditioning to the equasion and you'll get between 75-80 degrees and and 70-80% relative humidity.