top 10 list

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

Oh, now I'm starting trouble, I know. But what about a top ten pipemakers' list, say, in no particular order. But, I suppose there might be 10 different lists, which could be a great idea in itself. This could simply be based on users' preferences, and not on who's better'n whom.

I know, how about everyone send in their list?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: elbogo on 2002-08-22 04:40 ]</font>
goatpiper

Post by goatpiper »

I think one thing you should consider is where you live? Are there pipemakers near to you? I would start with them, if there are any around you, and see what their work and service is like...if you can find an excellent pipemaker that's closer to you, when you need a reed or need something done on your pipes, it's a lot better than chewing your fingernails while your pipes are being handled by ten different people through UPS to get to where they're going.
I can't name ten, because I've only had extensive experience with one, and I've already mentioned him. I think that others will also be hard pressed to come up with ten that they could validly offer an opinion on. I would continue to look into those that you've already heard of.

Aaron Welsh

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: goatpiper on 2002-08-22 05:51 ]</font>
solsort12

Post by solsort12 »

Names of pipemakers on a top tenlist. Nobody named,nobody forgotten. More importen is to contact a pipemaker near you to get the right service. For years ago I bought my first practise set.I practise and practise. I get used to the set. Later I bought another set. It was very difficult for me to play the new set, but I get used to it.
Final I have just have bought a fullset. And again I have to practise to get used to the new set.My point is that if one is going to name what is ones best pipemaker(s)you will get a long list. It is a very personel choice.And in the end it is a question about your talent to move yourselves from step to step. I hope you can understand what I mean
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

The top ten pipemakers in alphabetical order would have to be:

Maurice Coyne
Michael Egan
Denis Harrington
Timothy Kenna
William Kennedy
Cillian O'Briain
Robert Reid
W. & C. Taylor
Dave Williams
Geoff Wooff
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

elbogo,
What's the criteria here... do you want attainable pipemakers?
Perhaps good makers with a waiting list of 3 years or less?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-08-22 07:41, Steampacket wrote:
The top ten pipemakers in alphabetical order would have to be:

Maurice Coyne
Michael Egan
Denis Harrington
Timothy Kenna
William Kennedy
Cillian O'Briain
Robert Reid
W. & C. Taylor
Dave Williams
Geoff Wooff
Based on what, I wonder. Name me two Egan sets you have heard and I mean Egan sets without replacement chanters etc that worked and worked well [and no, Dan Dowd did not use the Egan chanter]. Same for Kennedy, how many of his sets are knwn at all.
Same for Reid [no, JOBM does not use the Reid chanter], very nicely made but how useful are their chanters and how many do you know of actually doing the business.

By the end of the day most of these things are only hear-say and there's little if any value in lists like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-08-22 09:28 ]</font>
Paul

Post by Paul »

Well said, Peter.
solsort12

Post by solsort12 »

agree
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Ok, ok! I get the point... and it is well taken. I also guess Solsort does have a good point as well. Perhaps, I should stick with choices in the USA, where I am, in case something goes wrong.

Never mind a list then!!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Your research list might include Canadian maker Joe Kennedy http://www.kennedysuilleannpipes.com/ The exchange rate is in your favor.
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Sorry for being contrary but these things go around and around, and actually I have never seen a properly working Egan set, despite his reputation.

Go for a set of pipes you like, never mind where it comes from, I have made the point before, near is not necessarily better. I bought my set from the other side of the world at he time and got laughed at but by the end of the day I didn't fare badly at all.

If you order anything at all, just make sure you've played it or had it played by someone who can.

Tony, ever played a Kennedy chanter [he sent me one a few weeks ago so at least I have, I have passd it on to a student].
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'd also add Kirk Lynch to the list.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Elbogo- If you want to learn the pipes, there is no rush to get a full set right away. The important thing is to get going on a practice set and at least get acquainted with the instrument. Many makers offer very nice ones that aren't very expensive. While you are beginning to learn the basics you can research and decide who you want to commission a set from or wait patiently for that great deal on a used set. If you order a set from an established maker you will most likely have to wait a few years. That is no big deal though when you consider that in the end you should be getting a fine hand-crafted musical instrument that will last a lifetime. if you start off with a practice set now, at least you can use the waiting and researching time to learn.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Peter,
No, I haven't played a Kennedy chanter... only heard one on the phone when I spoke to him just over a year ago. I know he's been a pipemaker a relatively short time. He's been seen at several of the Tionols in the Northeastern US showing his pipes and giving reedmaking seminars.

Michael,
You've mentioned Kirk Lynch several times. Are his books still open?