eBay listing Left-handed practice set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

anima, since you mentioned it, how is your Davey Stephenson practice set?
anima

Post by anima »

Elbogo, I love my set. I can think of few things that I've bought that bring me as much pleasure. Seriously.

here's a couple of pix
http://www.animavitae.com/uilleann/chanter1.jpg
http://www.animavitae.com/uilleann/chanter2.jpg
http://www.animavitae.com/uilleann/bagbellowchanter.jpg
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

If you have a source for boxwood aged 5-7 years, that'd be pretty incredible and I'd owe ya a favour. I'd be happy with somewhat recently cut boxwood of the correct size to season on my own.

Dionys
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Let's go back to the boxwood thread we were in earlier this week...

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... &forum=6&3
anima

Post by anima »

well... speaking of boxwood, the mounts in my practice set are boxwood.

see pix above

:smile:

Jeff
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Tony I think I have become a "by-stander at a car accident" just looking to animate a little conversation.No harm intended...PS Scotland is a small country and the handful of uilleann pipers including the maker here are my friends.I tried to redress the balance when one of the forum members opined on the look of the chanter and probably killed the auction.Many of the pipers I know here are playing sets made by Jim and none of them are complaining which speaks for itself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uilliam on 2002-08-26 06:10 ]</font>
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

The eBay audience is far greater than this message board reaches, our comments couldn't have hurt the sale. If you were feeling it might have jepodarized the sale you should have prompted a good reference about the maker at that point.

People put money on noname pipes from Pakistan all the time, many of them go into the auction knowing the pipes may not play.

This auction only had one small picture and a very breif description. More pictures and a sound file would have helped. A lower opening bid may have lured the curious to see how low the reserve was.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Tony its all rather academic now.I wouldnt underestimate the power of the written word.Can you explain your surprise at Basoons being made from Maple?I have seen and played chanters made from many different woods Maple included and I wouldnae say it was a bad tone.Re Animas chanter needing rebore many times.I would say that is indicative of a dodgy piece to start with.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Actually, I think eBay allows a free re-listing so maybe the second round might be better. More pictures, detailed description, perhaps including a tutorial on pipes or small instruction booklet could certainly help the sale.

All other wood 'woodwinds' are made from exotic dark colored woods except the Bassoon. I don't know the reason for this. I do know that my friend who repairs bassoons (and only bassoons) does a lot of rebuilding to the bottom bend (boot) where moisture accumulates and that section is prone to rot. There are many woods that are more resistant to moisture penetration than maple. I do plan to research this more.
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Chris Langan made several Maple chanters, they worked fine at the time, taking into account that maple doen't have the acoustic qualities of ebony [which is high in harmonics]. Pat Hutchinson has a three quarter set by Chris in Maple, that still seems to work.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Peter, I'm curious... is it a wide bore D chanter?
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Well, it wouldn't be my choice either but it can be done. Haven't heard PH play for donkeys years so can't remember really. I have some pics though if you want a look.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I guess the same goes for American cherry. A few makers are doing keyless 'broomstick' chanters, some flat pitch. I heard one (in C) on the phone recently. The owner loved it and it sounded pretty lively.