piper choice as starter set?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
seanc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am primarily a bass player for 30+ years in rock bands. Making an effort to expand my horizons. Currently struggling with concertina. Completely befuddled by Uilleann pipes.

piper choice as starter set?

Post by seanc »

Are these piper's choice UP starter sets worth looking at? As mentioned, i am an absolute beginner here..

for reference:
http://www.celticaffairs.com/piping.htm
Thanks!
sean
marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by marcpipes »

Nope! Don't waste the money on these. They a frustrating rubbish at the best of times. For only a bit more, you could get a David Daye penny chanter.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
mayo_piper

daye

Post by mayo_piper »

Here is the link.........http://www.daye1.com/
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
seanc
Tell us something.: I am primarily a bass player for 30+ years in rock bands. Making an effort to expand my horizons. Currently struggling with concertina. Completely befuddled by Uilleann pipes.

how about compared to the boston

Post by seanc »

How do those stack up against the boston pipes?
brianc

Post by brianc »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:swear:

:tomato:
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

If you search you'll find lots of thought on good starter sets. In addition to David Daye, Boston Pipeworks you can also check out Pat Sky who has a budget set that might be what you;re looking for. There are also a few other makers out there making cheaper sets but I have no experience with them.

Get to a tionól as soon as you can and try out lots of sets, even if it's just bleeps and blorps it's a good way to start getting an idea of what you like and what you're not so crazy about. You may even find a can't-be-beat deal on a practice set. The SOCAL tionól is only a little over a month away. I found cheap airfare.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I second the Boston recommendation...I have one of their chanters that I picked up as a spare and it's very good, with two excellent reeds. I seem to play it more than my regular chanter these days. I can't speak for David Daye and Pat Sky personally, but both have established recommendations and you can't go wrong with any of the three. One thing I can say is that the UPB chanters are good if you want something a bit less, well...concert-pitchy. They're concert pitch and not narrow bore, but are a bit narrower than most concert chanters and thus more apartment/neighbor/family/spouse friendly. Probably why I play that one more than my other chanter!
Corin
nemethmik

Post by nemethmik »

The Pennychanter is a great solution for a beginner. Checkout these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmlrf-XV0Z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pFWoprZcPM
IMHO, a Pennychanter is a must for all Uilleann pipers.
HTH :)
Miki
seanc

so then between the boston a penny and something else??

Post by seanc »

So then, between the boston and the penny is there a strong reccomend? The penny has drones, or at least the option to add drones where the boston does not appear to be the case.

Going one step further then.. Am I to gather that these are pretty modular? Can you take a chanter from one, bellows from another bag from somewhere else and drones and have a usable system??
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

You can add drones to pretty much any set. It's just a matter of punching through the bag and tying in the mainstock. Chanter and drones don't need to be from the same manufacturer. I'd say the Boston is more chanter-like of the two, but they're both good. For upgrading to a half-set, I'd say wait and try out some different sets.
mayo_piper

chanter

Post by mayo_piper »

Seanc,

To answer the last part of your question, yes you can add a chanter to another maker's set. People do it all of the time.

I own a Penny chanter and the reed is great and does well in most climates. I have heard very good things from Boston Pipeworks too. ask Pat D'Arcy - he has had students play on these chanters. I know you might be new to this forum - but many pipers do look up to him.
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: so then between the boston a penny and something else??

Post by PJ »

seanc wrote:Going one step further then.. Am I to gather that these are pretty modular? Can you take a chanter from one, bellows from another bag from somewhere else and drones and have a usable system??
Careful about mixing.

Firstly, you have to make sure that the parts connect. Most chanters have a similar outside diameter of on the air-intake so they'll connect to most bags (I think it's 3/8") - BUT NOT ALWAYS. The connections between bag and bellows are more varied/less standard.

Differences in reed pressure may be an issue - although you can always get a lighter or heavier reed made for your chanter.

Finally, some makers' pipes are louder than others or have a different tone. If you end up with loud drones and a quiet chanter, people won't hear your chanter. You want to make sure that the volume is balanced.
PJ
seanc

hmm... loud drones silent chanter??

Post by seanc »

That sounds like the perfect newbie way to go! I could sit in with anybody! It would be like the MTV of the ITM.. What is Gaelic for lip syncing??
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Ailínithe liopa :party:

PD.
No E

Post by No E »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Ailínithe liopa :party:

PD.
Small wonder people look up to you.

Admiringly,

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.