Willie Week goings on

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Willie Week goings on

Post by fel bautista »

Who's going to be our roving reporter since Peter has left the forum? Feadogin didn't go (I don't think) this year so anyone?? Anyone?
papuga

Re: Willie Week goings on

Post by papuga »

fel bautista wrote:Who's going to be our roving reporter since Peter has left the forum? Feadogin didn't go (I don't think) this year so anyone?? Anyone?
Paula Carroll from ClareFM says that she and Ronan Burke will be doing live radio programs from the Clancy week on Wednesday and Thursday (August 11th and 12th). The programs are available online at the Traditional Music Shows Archive for a week afterwards:
http://www.clarefm.ie/
Regards from
Daniel Winfree Papuga
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

papuga wrote:Paula Carroll from ClareFM says that she and Ronan Burke will be doing live radio programs from the Clancy week on Wednesday and Thursday (August 11th and 12th). The programs are available online at the Traditional Music Shows Archive for a week afterwards:
http://www.clarefm.ie/
Isn't Willie week next week rather than "august 11th and 12th"?
jimharrison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jimharrison »

I think he means July - an easy mistake to make these days :)

I will be there, but as a nervously blushing willie virgin and numpty newbie, any comments I am likely to make will probably be worth less than the pixels they are composed of. However, internet connection allowing I am more than happy to post the occasional 'it's going great' and 'jeez i should have practiced more and drunk less ...'

It's not really going to make up for Peter, though, is it?! :oops:
brianc

Post by brianc »

jimharrison wrote:
I think he means July - an easy mistake to make these days :)

I will be there, but as a nervously blushing willie virgin and numpty newbie, any comments I am likely to make will probably be worth less than the pixels they are composed of. However, internet connection allowing I am more than happy to post the occasional 'it's going great' and 'jeez i should have practiced more and drunk less ...'

It's not really going to make up for Peter, though, is it?! :oops:
Actually, I think it would be good to hear from a first-timer as to what goes on at WCSS.

Though I must say I'll miss the veteran's commentary that Peter provided.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Most of Peter,s commentaries went like this----

I walked into a room,they were all playing concert pitch ,so I ran home as fast as I could !!!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

There's a little internet café down the main street - not the Ennis Road end. Prices are great and it's broadband enough to get a video chat going back home (if the kids that run it have the music at a reasonable volume :) )

Have fun!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

I was wondering if anyone was going to respond! Whew- thanks for the tip, next year, next year when my full set comes in :-)
No E

Post by No E »

Isn't Thomas Johnson that is usually our roving reporter from WCSS?

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I think Thomas has been keeping us informed with extended reports since the early days of Irtrad-l. I always look forward to them.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
jimharrison

Willie Week

Post by jimharrison »

I hope Thomas will continue the tradition, but just to let you know that it is currently (still) raining here in Miltown Malbay, as it has been all day! I got into town about midnight last night and the main street looked like a war zone :-) though it got a bit quieter out towards Spanish Point.

Registration was the chaos everyone expected - I had certainly never seen so many pipe cases in one place at the same time - many of them carried by children smaller than the cases. First day's lessons seem to be going well, by all accounts, as adjustments were made to some of the numbers.

We had a great recital at lunchtime from a young American piper whose name I sadly didn't catch (anyone?) followed by Brian McNamara, playing a great (albeit too short!) selection including Mrs Crotty, and The Humours of Glynn amongst others.

I went to Ronan Browne's 'How to Listen to Music' class in the afternoon which was equal parts informative, challenging and downright hilarious. RTE should broadcast that ....

Now the evening beckons, and who knows what she holds in her wet little hand ...

Will keep you posted

Jim
fel bautista

Re: Willie Week

Post by fel bautista »

jimharrison wrote:...
We had a great recital at lunchtime from a young American piper whose name I sadly didn't catch (anyone?) ...
Jim
Perhaps it's Elliot Grasso ????
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

bump- what's going on
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Its Wet Wet Wet :wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
jimharrison

Re: Willie Week

Post by jimharrison »

fel bautista wrote:
jimharrison wrote:...
We had a great recital at lunchtime from a young American piper whose name I sadly didn't catch (anyone?) ...
Jim
Perhaps it's Elliot Grasso ????
No - this was a 15 yr old student here. Today we had a young lass, also a student, called Rita - she's been playing just a couple of years but sounded like it had been a decade ... (playing a C set). Then came Donncha Dwyer on C# playing a couple of jigs, two hornpipes and a set of reels. As about the only thing I haven't got in the pipe case is a pen, I don't have the names ...

There was a lovely tribute to Sean Potts in the Hall this afternoon - sadly because of other classes I only caught a brief performance by Ronan Browne (playing his Harrington B set) with Peadair O'Laoghlain - sadly the sound wasn't all it could (or should) be. I know they started with Mary Brennan's Favourite and ended with the Concert Reel but I am not sure about hte other tunes ... my apologies for being a lousy correspondent.

Good news for the weather watchers - the sun is currently blazing over Miltown Malbay so we're all heading for the beach ... Apparently it's going to be sh*te tomorrow so no surprises there.