Scotland, here I come!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
nadav
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Scotland, here I come!

Post by nadav »

On Monday I'll be flying to Scotland for a few months, and I'll be in Edinburgh or Aberdeen. anyone knows about pipers\teachers there? I'm taking my UP with me. (and leaving the GHB behind...)
Finally I could have a teacher! (hopefully...)

Thanks,
Nadav
TheSilverSpear
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Check your PMs, dude. :)
mayo_piper

Pipes

Post by mayo_piper »

Ummmm, Edinburgh is sorta like the Holy Mecca for Highland Pipers...don't know how receptive Irish Pipes are accepted there....sure you don't want to bring your big pipes?

Good luck!
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
nadav

Post by nadav »

Thing is, I have a great teacher here for the GHB, he was Pipe Major and all (in Hawaii!) and even a pipe band, but for the UP I don't really have one here. and this could be my only chance for the next couple of years to learn from a very good teacher.
I'm sure there are alot of uilleann pipers in those cities too.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I was going to say there are no uilleann pipers in Aberdeen...but Jarlath Henderson is/was studying medicine there.

There's a couple of guys who play in Edinburgh, but maybe not to a teaching standard.

Nearest possible teacher to Edinburgh would be near Dunfermline (an hour away).

There's two guys who teach in Glasgow, one from the irish angle (uilliam....posts on here) and the other is Simon McKerrel, he comes from GHB, used to play uilleann pipes with "Back of the Moon".

An hour and a half from Aberdeen there is myself ( :oops: ) and Rory O'Connell, (we'd be happy to meet up, teach you if ur a beginner maybe)and then there are a few more people scattered all over Scotland. I have contacts for most uilleann pipers in Scotland.

No more than 20 decent players in the whole country...unless someone knows more than me!

PM me if you like!

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

gasper

Post by gasper »

If you have the space, I'd really bring both sets of pipes. I'm pretty sure know your PM. He's a good guy and a fine player/composer. Though, I'd be surprised if he didn't try to push you into taking your highland pipes. At the very least try to make it to a few good games. If you're still around the Northern Meeting in Sept is a damn good time.

I'd also suggest you check out the Piping Centre in Glasgow and maybe drop Simon McKerrell an email. I want to say that he teaches uilleann pipes there, but I could be wrong about that... Even if not, he would probably know a few local players.

John
djm

Post by djm »

If you are going to be living in Scotland for that long, you are close enough to go to some of the tionóls in Ireland where you can be taught by some of the best.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Both Uilliam and Simon McKerral are teaching Uilleann piping in Glasgow.

Uilliam teaches at the Glasgow Pipers club, which is held within the Irish Minstrels CCE branch. It is open during school term time on a tuesday from 7pm till 8:45pm in St Roch's secondary school.

I believe that Simon teaches UP on wednesday nights at the National Piping Centre, but there is no mention of it on the NPC website. I will try and find out for sure.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Nadav

Caught Simon tonight (pure serindipity).

The next set of lessons start in October in the National Piping Centre.

If you want lessons e-mail Simon via the Piping Centre

http://www.thepipingcentre.co.uk/

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
nadav

Post by nadav »

Believe me, if I had room I would take them both. but because I have a good GHB teacher here, but not UP teacher, I will take this oppretinity to take UP lessons...

as for the piping centre, if I'll have time i would go there, but will just wait&see...

Thanks all!
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Edinburgh is an hour from Glasgow (where Simon is).

Aberdeen is 3 hours from Glasgow.

TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I'd agree that Scotland and the Northeast of England are not meccas of uilleann piping. I can't say that I've met many more here than I met in Colorado. The places to find concentrations of good pipers are Ireland and the East Coast of the US. Everywhere else, they seem a bit scattered. Though I imagine the bigger English cities like Manchester or Leeds would have some.
boyd

Post by boyd »

There are some moves afoot to resurrect a tionol in Glasgow, hopefully later this year.

I've organised 9 or 10 piping days in the past 7 years, but always left it to someone in Glasgow to organise the Glasgow one.

Whereabout in NE England-shire are you, SilverSpear?

Boyd

Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

That someone being me :boggle: I am arranging another one for this October :party:
Nadav if ye wish to I will be happy to meet up wi ye I will pm ye my telephone number.
On the topic of Classes that Davey mentioned in the earlier post please note that the Piping Centre charge somewhere in the region of £40 per term per person.(so I last heard) so it may be more or less now I don't know.At The Glasgow Uilleann Pipers Club we charge £1 per night which is paid directly to Comhaltas (to cover the cost of the classroom janitor)thats about £12 per term.A school term being about 12 weeks.Of course for that ridiculous amount ye get a really crappy teacher who is xtraeeemly surly :wink: wot do ye expect for peanuts...??
Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Are UK flights still not allowing carry-on luggage?