What style bass reg?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Which type?

Straight bass bar
53%
Taylor-style/180 degree
47%

Total votes: 47

meemtp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What style bass reg?

Post by meemtp »

Now I'm in now way ready for even thinking about regs. But, being fully into pipe-geek mode these days, I'm curious to see what bass reg design people prefer. I've heard good arguments for each, taking into account that everyone's anatomy is different and thus milage may vary.
Corin
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I cannot figure out how to actually vote in a poll so I will just post: wrap around.

t
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I would go for a straight bass bar since I simply like it.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Currently have a Straight bar, but was thinking I may pop for the pimping out of my set and get the Taylor bar as well as a wooden reed cap with a stop valve.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

djm

Post by djm »

I have two sets with the straight bass reg top, but I would go for the wrap-around style if my pipemaker offered it simply because it would be so much less hassle to fit into a case.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

I don't have a full set yet (but a 3/4 set is on its way soon!!!), but if I did, I'd want the straight style. I think the 180 bend is nice, and I like the compactness for storage, etc., but I love the look of the straight bar, even though they can be awkward to deal with. I think it "balances" the look of the set, with drones extending down, and bar extending up.

I think it looks very ancient and sophisticated and ellegant all at the same time, hence part of my origional attraction to the instrument.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I feel the same way. I prefer the asthetics of the straight bar, but do wonder which is easier to maintain in a position that keeps the reg keys at a good spot for using effectively. I've heard opinions from both camps: Those who say the straight bar puts and keeps the key field where you want it (providing you have the mainstock tied in at the right spot). And those who feel that the 180 degree bass reg makes it easier to adjust how everything sits should you need to modify your position or are playing in a cramped space. Hmm....I wonder if it's possible to have a set made with a removable straight bar and a 180 degree section that can be used interchangably. I'd imagine it would be expensive, but is it technically possible? I'm thinking have the 180 degree bar in place and if the straight bar is pulled, having a U-bend piece that slides on...can the pipemakers in the house weigh in on this?
Corin
johnpipe108

Post by johnpipe108 »

I'm trying to build a set of regulators for my pipes, and having built a first working bass prototype from the traditional plans in Garvin, I find myself struggling with this issue. With my half-set, some slight mis-positioning of the mainstock cup didn't have too significant an effect; but put on a bass bar, and now I've got problems, and need to make a new bag, find out where the mainstock really should go, etc, etc . :boggle:

I've built the bass prototype square Taylor style (with square bore to match!) in the keyed part, but has the trad bass bar. Since the pipes aren't at the correct angle, the bass bar pushes the bag backward under the arm, making it hard to control, and the pipes keep going forwards away from me. :o

Perhaps it's just the frustration with what I have to deal with until I can make another bag, but I've seriously considered trying to work out my square-bored separator design into a folded Taylor-style bass setup. :twisted:

I'll probably reserve any decision to switch to the folded design (not sure how successful I'll be with that yet, anyway), but I too was hooked by the ancient look of the bass bar, and if I can get it set up correctly so the pipes are comfortable to play, well, I guess it's a choice between the "engineering" look of the Taylor style v.s. the "ancient" look of the long bass bar.

As I'm a retired engineer, you might imagine I'd like my pipes to to have the engineering look, but I prefer the ancient; I feel pretty ancient myself :D

regards, John

------------

cronic sufferer from WGD, BGD and occasional bouts of FIMD :D :D
cronic sufferer from WGD, BGD and occasional bouts of FIMD :^)
------------------------------
He who sees all beings in the Self, and the Self in all beings, hates none
--Isha Upanishad
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Perhaps it's just the frustration with what I have to deal with until I can make another bag, but I've seriously considered trying to work out my square-bored separator design into a folded Taylor-style bass setup.
Might be worth contacting Chris Bayley as he sometimes makes in the Taylor style as he may have a solution that is easy to apply to your own design

John
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

I've always been struck by the fact that Benedict Koehler, whom one would assume could play a full set if he wanted to, always seems to appear in public with a 3/4 set. Robbie Hannan the same.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
reedman

Post by reedman »

No doudt about it, straight bar always. 8)
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
sturob

Post by sturob »

I vote straight bar. Actually, I voted straight bar.

I think it adds to the whole ensemble and balances the pipes. Not that it really matters, of course; a question of aesthetics will, of course, become a question of taste.

As to Corin's question . . . you know, the straight bass bar goes straight down to the reg (duh!). In a folded bar, the air goes up, then down, so the piece that's in line with the actual reg isn't where the air goes in. Does that make sense? It seems like you'd have to have different outlets for air on the mainstock to make one or the other design to work. Doesn't make it impossible, but it might make having both bars more complicated.

Another reason to go with the straight bar . . . you can have a really cool finial. Ivory, box, horn, whatever!

Stuart
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

gregorygraham wrote:I've always been struck by the fact that Benedict Koehler, whom one would assume could play a full set if he wanted to, always seems to appear in public with a 3/4 set. Robbie Hannan the same.
I can't speak for Benedict Koehler, but I've heard that with Robbie Hannan's set, he finally wound up removing the bass reg because of tuning problems and he figured it was more trouble than it was worth.

Elliot Grasso doesn't have a bass regulator on his D set either...I think he has one on his B set, though.

I hope to soon be getting tenor & baritone regs fitted to my set; I didn't go with the bass partly because of cost issues, but also because there's plenty that you can do with just the two regs and I think that will suit me fine for the time being. If and when I wind up getting a flat set someday, I'll probably go with a full set, though (w/straight bar, as I'm also attracted to the aesthetics and balance of that look).

Er, not that I'm trying to copy Elliot Grasso or anything...
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I *think* the bass reg on Eliot Grasso's B set has a 180 degree bar. I'm pretty sure when I saw a photo of it there were 3 regs and no bass bar. Of course he could have just had the bass bar removed at the time.

I'm actually leaning towards just doing a tenor and bari on my concert set when I'm ready for regs, and save the full suit of regs for a flat set...if I can ever afford one!
Corin
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I *think* the bass reg on Eliot Grasso's B set has a 180 degree bar. I'm pretty sure when I saw a photo of it there were 3 regs and no bass bar. Of course he could have just had the bass bar removed at the time.
If Eliot is still playing the Rogge Bset it is unlikely that it has an 180 degree bar...I think it is a 3/4 set. Rogge does not turn arounds like this: believe me I tried to get him to make me one once.

t
Last edited by tommykleen on Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.