I can take surly...but "not worth the effort"???

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
magroibin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

I can take surly...but "not worth the effort"???

Post by magroibin »

"The five musical instruments that just plain suck the most"

http://www.drivl.com/posts/view/833

Hmmmph! :evil:
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

After I finished blushing at all the profanity (yall know ah have a delicate constitushun) I was pleased to see that we had made it on the radar.

The author, though quite funny, is still a turd.

Smuggily/nerdilly,

t
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Indeed, if wit were s**t, the author would be quite the prizewinning turd.

I did get a loud chuckle out of the comment about feeling compelled to slam someone's head in a car door after hearing a hurdy-gurdy, though.

I think, though, that pipers of all sorts do at times need to take a step back and try to see themselves as others see us: pipes in the wrong hands are truly an instrument of evil...At times when I'm out socializing and chatting with an attractive young woman, I think to myself "how the Hell am I going to nonchalantly break the news that I play three kinds of bagpipes?!"

Perhaps as the popularity of uilleann piping continues to grow in the world, we can expect more attention from these whiny, surly killjoys who have nothing better to do than sit in front of their computer screens all day...Er, oh wait...Damn. Well, I was just leaving, anyway...
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

The first problem I have with Hurdy Gurdies is that everything played on them sounds the same.

The second is they take 1/2 an hour to prepare before playing, with tuning, rosining etc.

The third is that even a "student" model costs a LOT.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I got a huge guffaw out of this. Makes one think twice about how serious some of us really are... too much so, sometimes, IMHO. :lol:
billh

Post by billh »

Martin Milner wrote:The first problem I have with Hurdy Gurdies is that everything played on them sounds the same.

The second is they take 1/2 an hour to prepare before playing, with tuning, rosining etc.

Sound familiar? :lol:

It is just possible that the Vielle presents more tuning difficulties than the (Irish) pipes. As for tunes sounding the same... ask a non-piper!

Bill
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

billh wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:The first problem I have with Hurdy Gurdies is that everything played on them sounds the same.

It is just possible that the Vielle presents more tuning difficulties than the (Irish) pipes. As for tunes sounding the same... ask a non-piper!

Bill
:wink: I'm a non-piper. :wink:

I play fiddle and melodeon.

Nobody ever asks about the fiddle, because everyone knows what it is. Except one guy who asked if it was a banjo, but he was VERY drunk. I think.

The melodeon does raise interest, but you don't really want to hand a £1,000 piece of kit to a bystander to just play with, because they'll try to work it without pressing a key and wreck the bellows, or something.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

billh wrote:

Bill
:wink: I'm a non-piper. :wink:

I play fiddle and melodeon.

Nobody ever asks about the fiddle, because everyone knows what it is. Except one guy who asked if it was a banjo, but he was VERY drunk. I think.

The melodeon does raise interest, but you don't really want to hand a £1,000 piece of kit to a bystander to just play with, because they'll try to work it without pressing a key and wreck the bellows, or something.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

billh wrote: Sound familiar? :lol:
Bill
I know a good player that summed it up very nicely:
The hurdy-gurdy, a minute to play - a life time to tune
:D

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I got a huge guffaw out of this. Makes one think twice about how serious some of us really are... too much so, sometimes, IMHO. :lol:
I'm with you Joe.

The recorder is capable of some beautiful music.
Guys a weenie.

He needs:
1) a Guinness poured down his gullet while ..
2) Scotland the Brave is piped right into his face.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rgouette wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I got a huge guffaw out of this. Makes one think twice about how serious some of us really are... too much so, sometimes, IMHO. :lol:
I'm with you Joe.

The recorder is capable of some beautiful music.
Guys a weenie.

He needs:
I'd like to include a fist full of Valium to chase that Guinness down with.... hmmmmmm.... might have to give that a go myself. :D :D :D
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

rgouette wrote: Guys a weenie.

He needs:
3) A life.

(Gosh 'piano' wouldve been my #1 pet peeve instrument...those things are everywhere...)

As I always say: 'there' s no accounting for good taste...' :party:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The website's aptly named, don't you think?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I very muched enjoyed the recorder bit. Although I think the fingering bit would be much better suited for the pipes... :lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think the writer is suffering from an overexposure to Kumbaya. Who knows how many times those poor little kids had to play it. Who could even care enough to try to play it right? After hearing the first three notes or so I turn very nasty. I'm sure it is a fine song, but it needs to go away for a few generations.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca