Wood Chanter Caps

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

I have begun to build a half set of concert pitch pipes. Since I am new to this area of instrument building, I have a question which some of the more experienced on this board (most everyone qualifies here :smile:) might be able to answer. I have noticed that some of the makers (Davy Stephenson, for example) offer a wood chanter cap, which would appear to offer a larger chamber above the reed. Now, from my experience as a "mouth-blown" woodwind player of many years, this would seem to parallel the admonishment of my teachers to "keep your throat open, it produces a more full sound". To finally get to my question: would, in your opinions, the larger volume of the wood chanter cap make a noticeable difference in the tone of the chanter, and additionally (or separately) does the use of wood (in place of the more commonly occurring brass) effect the tone of the instrument. Sorry for the length of the post, and apologies in advance for the many questions I will subject you to in the future. Regards, dave boling
AlanBurton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by AlanBurton »

Dave, The internal of a wood windcap isn't usually much greater than that of a brass tube. I'm given to understand (and tend to agree)it allows stability in climate/temp changes, as the wood does not conduct as quickly as metals like brass or silver, thus affording a little extra time for the reed to adjust slowly and not get shocked into unpleasant playability. Not to mention it does look nicer if aesthetics are your priority :smile:
Alan
bagpipeworks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bagpipeworks »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bagpipeworks on 2002-12-14 11:32 ]</font>
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Davy,
All things considered... Pipemaker Bruce Childress came into town one weekend and we got together to see Eamonn Dillon perform. I had a chance to ask a few questions before we left to the pub and he did an 'AB' comparison on his blackwood chanter switching from a Wooden windcap to a brass windcap. Neither of us could tell a difference in sound.
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

I've tried brass caps, stainless steel caps and wooden caps of various sizes and found no difference whatsoever! one other pipemaker I spoke with said that perhaps the length the tube can effect the back D. At the end of the day, for a concert set I would go for metal. There are enough problems with pipes as it is. With a wooden top you can get shrinkage, loose ferrules ect
all things you dont want with something that protects the reed. Also, supposing your in a session and your chanter pops out of the bag and the reed cap hits the table and cracks(this aparrently can happen to pipers who patronise public houses and drink beer!).
unregulated

Post by unregulated »

hi dave,
what you are doing sounds v / interesting.
i am a lover of the pipes and their music although there's never enough time in a day to practice enough. Re . your question on chanter tops i feel it would make a difference depending on wood / size used. i have a chanter which causes a bit of a stir amongst those in the know if you are in my area or want the dimentions just ask. i would like a top made up for it but have never been near a lathe. photos and short note are on
http://uilleann.nl/mulcroneMaybe.html
you'll get my email at the bottom there to.
yours unregulated