stop key sought

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

stop key sought

Post by lordofthestrings »

'ello...

I am curious if anyone has a chanter headpiece with a stop key (preferably brass) they are willing to part with?

Thanks much!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Who made the chanter you want to add the stop key to?

Did you inquire with your pipemaker first? If your chanter was recently made, the ideal situation is try to get it from the same maker. They know all the important shapes and sizes to make it work. You might be lucky enough to send your reedcap back for exchange/credit/modification and save some money.

If you buy one from a 3rd party, there is no standard for inside diameter of the reedcap. Get/borrow a micrometer and measure the top of the shoulder diameter where the reedcap seats. Allow for thread/string so you know the smallest diameter that will fit.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

If your maker doesn't fit one then here are some sketches showing how they work - just point him at this thread and perhaps he will make you one
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=12665
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

One of our local pipers got one for his Rowsome chanter from Mark Donohue recently. He was very happy with it and it looked good.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I got one from Marc van Daal last year. The order took less than 2 months and cost 125 euros (plus shipping). I'm very happy with it. Marc was nice to deal with.
PJ