THE GREAT UILLEANN YOU-TUBE THREAD.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RenaissanceGuy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: THE GREAT UILLEANN YOU-TUBE THREAD.

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Ronan Browne accompanying vocalist Róisín Elsafty on the lullaby "Seóithín Seó."
Youtube link
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Love his B set. Really nice restrained use use of his regs for a one note at a time harmony accompaniment.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

How did I miss this until now: Leo Rowsome Documentary
PJ
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

This is from 2010, but it looks it wasn't ever posted here.
Barbara Allen and two reels, played on Uilleann pipes by multi-instrumentalist and pipemaker John Pedersen, who runs the Amazing Grace Music store in San Anselmo, California.

Youtube link

Though he has been making pipes for a few decades, his name always seems to slip through the cracks in discussions of pipemakers.
I met him earlier this year at his store when I was in the area, and discussed options for new pipes. He's quite an an interesting fellow. He said he doesn't play the pipes as much as he used to due to shoulder pain in recent years.
A lady brought in a fiddle that she was having a bit of trouble with, so he picked it up to test out, and absolutely went to town on it. She said something like, "Well, the problem must be my playing and not the fiddle!"
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Patricia Connery busking in Glendalough, County Wicklow; explaining the instrument and then playing "Táimse im' Chodladh."

Youtube link
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Gearoid O’hAllurabhain at Cap des Rosiers. The coffin ship, the Carricks of Whitehaven was wrecked here in 1847 with the loss of over 100 lives.

https://youtu.be/0GuDcGU2oKY
PJ
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Faliq Auri, the Malaysian piper, playing the jig "The Rolling Wave."
Youtube link
PadraigB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by PadraigB »

RenaissanceGuy wrote:Patricia Connery busking in Glendalough, County Wicklow; explaining the instrument and then playing "Táimse im' Chodladh."

Youtube link
Is that a set by Geoff Wooff?
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

PadraigB wrote:
RenaissanceGuy wrote:Patricia Connery busking in Glendalough, County Wicklow; explaining the instrument and then playing "Táimse im' Chodladh."

Youtube link
Is that a set by Geoff Wooff?
According to the description on this other video of Pat Connery playing "Easter Snow" (audio not so great, unfortunately; it seems it was recorded on a phone from some distance away), yes, it is a Geoff Wooff set. It's described as "a set of pipes made by Geoff Wooff - exact copy of a set by Denis Harrington who exhibited at The Cork Exhibition 1956."
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Highland piper Tress Maksimuk aka Dark Isle Bagpiper has been learning UP from Patrick D'Arcy.
The other day she posted this video of "Eagle's Whistle" (a tune also known by several other titles, as is common in ITM) played on a Daye half set:
Youtube link
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

A couple recent ones from Chris McMullan....
Banish Misfortune and Kitty's Rambles, duet with his cousin Joe McHugh: Youtube link
And Danny Boy (I know, I know) played at a UNESCO festival in Lithuania: Youtube link
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

A few from Séamus Ong, a younger piper from Dublin.
The Ace & Deuce of Piping: Youtube link
The Queen of the Rushes Set: Youtube link
Paddy Fahy's & The Maid in The Cherry Tree: Youtube link
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

Flat Session Willie Clancy Week 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHY2yF-3URc
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

A German documentary series on various crafts recently did an episode on Andreas Rogge's pipemaking: Youtube link
Sorry, no English subtitles, but very nice visuals (and piping).
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Padraig Donlon at Le Festival Interceltique de Lorient:
Youtube link