b versus c pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
lemonsquash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lemonsquash »

First, apologies to anima for accidentally hitting "post reply" instead of "new topic" and creating a total non sequitur in the back d discussion. Now--I've read the three pages of crossfire on concert pitch versus flat pitch pipes. Would any of you be willing to weigh in with opinions on B versus C pipes?
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

It is a pity that none of the "experts" wants to jump in here. I for myself opted for a B chanter just for the greater difference in tone and pitch in comparison to a concert set. A very questionable point, though. There might be better arguments for a C chanter when coming from concert pitch, but for me it is mostly a matter of taste.
Christian
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

Christian,

Thanks for taking the plunge. I was gravitating towards a b set myself and for the same reason, which is why I opened this line of discussion. I've heard lovely things out of Gay McKeon's C set, but there's no getting around the facts that it's a Coyne set and it's him playing it. I was really wondering if anyone out there who has both b and c chanters had anything to say about their differences tonally and in terms of playability--with all due weight given to the question of the maker. Thanks again, Christian.

Lemon
anima

Post by anima »

I'd be interested in hearing sound samples too if anyone had some.

Jeff
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I have chanters in B and C, but they are from different makers using different woods... so it's not a fair comparison.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It is very much a matter of taste, so there is very little sensible tat can be said. I have a C myself but would be equally happy with a nice B. But then, I have seen many Cs and Bs from other makers I wouldn't touch. Try, listen and then decide.
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

OK, here's a detail question that might make some sensible response possible. It seems to me as though I've noticed that players of c chanters still execute very quick, fluid passages, particularly in the second octave (though I realize this is to do with the tune structure and not the chanter), whereas players of b chanters seem to play in a more closed, measured fashion. Is the spacing of the holes different enough that flowing triplets are cumbersome on the b chanter? Sorry to be a pest with all the questions, I know the answers will be obvious when I can finally play these sets--thanks for your help.

Lemon
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I don't experience any differences n playing c or b ( or b flat for that matter). And listen to Robbie Hannan, hardly slow now is he?
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I play a B set most of the time. Playing triplets or any other piece of technnique is no different than playing on any other set, apart from different fingerings a particular chanter might need, it has no bearing on tempo.

I used to find that when I played my B set that it slowed my playing down a bit, I think it had the effect of slowing a record down and lowering the pitch. But now looking back it was more to do with being comfortable playing the instrument and being able to enjoy the music I was playing almost as a listener.

I've set up my D set in this way (almost) too and it improves the quality of play ten fold.

All the best,

Patrick.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

be sure your hands are big enough that you're comfortable with a B set. I've tried a couple of makers and although I LOVE the tone, my mitts are simply too small! I opted for a C set.