Joseph Smith, reed-meister

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
vanfleet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Joseph Smith, reed-meister

Post by vanfleet »

I was one of the fortunate who answered the call when our moderator asked for examples of broken, used-up, or otherwise unwanted chanter reeds, to further his reed-making education.

I sent along an old D reed for d-construction, and I sent him my Tim Britton C chanter to try out, to see if he could reed it. The results of our collaboration have been very good, and I want to encourage others to consider working with Joseph. Send him your tired, your poor, your Arundo masses yearning to crow free . . .

Joseph sent me back several finished reeds, an unscraped reed, and a "template" reed slip and staple, along with some tubes of that fine Sunshine State Arundo. I've spent hours playing (and playing with) the finished reeds, scraping and testing (sometimes to destruction). Surprised at how much FUN this collaboration was. I would encourage anyone to send Joseph a chanter to reed, just for the chance to experiment like this, and the very real chance that they will get a fine working reed or two out of the experience.
Of course I will offer the standard disclaimer "your mileage may vary," but for me it was absolutely worth it effort! As he has more opportunities to work with various maker's chanters and reeds, Joseph will only get better!
JVF
Jessica Ventura
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jessica Ventura »

I've been having a recurring dream of Joseph scraping my reed!
djm

Post by djm »

Wait till he rolls your staple. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jessica Ventura

Ooooo, that made me shiver!
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Que cheezy soundtrack
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

you guys are a larf riot

Post by vanfleet »

Anyone have anything *useful* to add?
Jessica Ventura

So, have you sent your old reeds and chanter to other reed makers and found the experience somehow lacking? Not FUN? Not worth the effort?
vanfleet

reed makers

Post by vanfleet »

The charm of collaborating with Mr. Smith was the cost. zero. Other reed-makers would be delighted to make me three finished reeds, and send along reed slips, staples, and cane tubes . . . for a hefty fee.
Fortunately, the barter system is not dead, and information still has some value. Good thing, since as a librarian that is my stock-in-trade.
JVF
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

I've played Josephs reeds, and found them to be rather pleasing... :)
Jessica Ventura

Re: reed makers

vanfleet wrote:The charm of collaborating with Mr. Smith was the cost. zero. Other reed-makers would be delighted to make me three finished reeds, and send along reed slips, staples, and cane tubes . . . for a hefty fee.
Fortunately, the barter system is not dead, and information still has some value. Good thing, since as a librarian that is my stock-in-trade.
JVF
So if Joseph begins to charge for reeds, the charm would be gone?
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have used both a Joseph smith and a Seth Hamon reed. Both seem to be similar in construction and I haven't had any problems. Kudos to both of you!
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Jessica Ventura wrote:So if Joseph begins to charge for reeds, the charm would be gone?
No... it would mean he's honed his reedmaking skills and you would get a well playing reed well worth the price he charges.

I too have tried his reeds and have no problem giving approval.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Jessica Ventura wrote:So if Joseph begins to charge for reeds, the charm would be gone?
Actually, I have been charging all along, except those who have been generous enough with their hearts and the loan of their instruments to me for the study of reed tuning.

So I guess this means the 'charm' was never there. :lol:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I sent on one or two old reeds to JES and he surprised me by sending me on a lovely reed based on the dimentions of those I sent him.

It sounds lovely in my chanter (at least I think so). For those who want to hear what his reeds sound like here are some links (forgive the quality of the recordings):

http://www.acidplanet.com/Components/Do ... 134&T=9622

http://www.acidplanet.com/Components/Do ... 135&T=1196
PJ
Jessica Ventura

You handle effusive praise well, Joseph. I'll put that into my dream, too, big boy! (shiver....). Now, if I can just find a librarian that will let me turn in my overdue book without paying the fine.....

P.S. I hope no one was hurt rushing to post an endorsement!