Public Apology to the Board

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Public Apology to the Board

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I would like to apologize for the disruptions my threads have recently caused on the forum. Its always been my intention to show others respect and to listen to those from whom I have solicited advice from.

I will try to do better....... :)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I don,t think you have anything to apoligise for and don,t let others make you think you have .
This is after all a public forum and any member has the right to ask any question they want .Some members who have been on this forum for a bit longer than others may have seen these question before ,but so what ,you will usually find that the member who do complain on that point don,t post alot of topic,s themselves , and after all without topic posting this forum would not exist

So I say well done KD , keep asking the question,and keep up the good work ,

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

i agree whole heartedly with rory. and keep asking questions and keep the interest up.
Big Time
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

rorybbellows wrote:I don,t think you have anything to apoligise for and don,t let others make you think you have .
This is after all a public forum and any member has the right to ask any question they want .
I have a sneaking suspicion that it isn't the questions that Kieth is apologizing for, but rather his outburst at those who replied in a manner he didn't like. I can see how he'd want to apologize for that.

You're right, though. The questions themselves are fine. I think, however, that many people on the board wonder at the motivation behind some of the questions. Especially those touching on playing ability, practising, and such. Since Kieth is very new at the whole piping game, it has the possibility of coming across as someone who isn't all that serious about playing the pipes. In other words, people might be viewing Kieth as only a dilettante.
RomanPiper

Post by RomanPiper »

NicoMoreno wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:I don,t think you have anything to apoligise for and don,t let others make you think you have .
This is after all a public forum and any member has the right to ask any question they want .
I have a sneaking suspicion that it isn't the questions that Kieth is apologizing for, but rather his outburst at those who replied in a manner he didn't like. I can see how he'd want to apologize for that.

You're right, though. The questions themselves are fine. I think, however, that many people on the board wonder at the motivation behind some of the questions. Especially those touching on playing ability, practising, and such. Since Kieth is very new at the whole piping game, it has the possibility of coming across as someone who isn't all that serious about playing the pipes. In other words, people might be viewing Kieth as only a dilettante.
In other words, SELF-FLAGELLATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!
Hail Caesar!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

RomanPiper wrote:In other words, SELF-FLAGELLATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!
What does that mean, exactly?
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

keith, while we are at it: since the last thread was locked and i thought i had something constructive to add: we seem to keep using the P word without telling you what to practice. so, as a fellow beginner just about 15 months ahead of you, i have an answer:
exercise #11 in the clarke tutor. that one is well fit to address the real playing problem you were addressing.
the repeated E in the first measure should be played basically stacatto- by closing the 2 holes simultaneously, not by cutting a note above. that will help some.
the end of the exercise , the last bar, also gives practice on applying the 2 lower fingers simultantously on the way down to the low D.
on the same page, the "A" part of the kerry polka at the bottom is also very helpful for the same reason-repeated alternation between bottom D and E.
this will come up again and again- it is just something that is naturally difficult and comes with time. i almost quit over this problem.
don't- it will get better.
whatever frustrates you has certainly frustrated me, and recently too, so always feel free to write-pm or public

meir
RomanPiper

Post by RomanPiper »

NicoMoreno wrote:
I say he's a mean old goat, that's what that means!
Hail Caesar!
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

You say Kieth's a mean old goat? Oh.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

RomanPiper wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote:
Thats a strong statement for someone that has been part of the forum for just a few weeks.

Royce?

Keith, I agree with previous posters no need for an apology but it was a good gesture on your part.

If you ask contributors to this board that dislikes your questions and posts to just ignore them you ought to do the same. Don’t respond to the replies that you dislike or feel are inappropriate. It’s also up to you to end the debate.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

NicoMoreno wrote:
You say Kieth's a mean old goat? Oh.
I don't think he is that old.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MarcusR wrote:Royce?
:lol: Not his style.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Nanohedron wrote:
MarcusR wrote:Royce?
:lol: Not his style.
No doubt. Even if he were incognito he wouldn't be able to be so brief.
glands

Post by glands »

Dang......drop off the board for a while and all sorts of stuff goes on. Flame wars...lock outs, etc. Where are the tionol reports I came lookin' for???????

Keith, just like in any other of the myriad arenas of life, pipes enthusiasts come from all sorts of backgrounds, socio-economic statuses, etc. We all represent a fairly good cross section of a group of peoples with regards to personalities, behaviors, etc. You will not always find helpful responses on this message board. Blow them off and do not respond to their provocations. Remember that everybody is usually much more interesting and perhaps even nicer in person than they seem to be on the board. I once went to summer school in Eire and buddied up with a guy for a few days only for him to ask my name "again" and, when he figured out who I was and that he knew of me from the net, he said, "Well, you are not an ass at all!" Uilliam and I have actually met and I find him to be rather interesting and enjoyable company. Everybody who meets Royce, and I haven't yet had the pleasure, says he is not quite the person you'd think he is either. Why, you'd think Padre d'Arcy is just that...wait 'till you meet him!!!!

Some of us write, and perhaps this would best describe me, when we have nothing really to contribute.

And, sometimes, we write to pose or ponder the the really interesting yet off topic and impertinent questions or thoughts on our minds....like....I wonder if Joseph has ever palpated the ovaries of one of those Florida Gators (ok,ok,ok....not the Univ of FL cheerleaders....real gators!!) in his line of work???? He's the only guy I know who could probably pull it off.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

glands wrote:....I wonder if Joseph has ever palpated the ovaries of one of those Florida Gators (ok,ok,ok....not the Univ of FL cheerleaders....real gators!!) in his line of work???? He's the only guy I know who could probably pull it off.
:D I'd rather they were cheerleaders... but to date, I haven't palpated a gator to see if she's gravid (pregnant/bearing eggs). But, there's always a first time. Hell, I'll try anything once... or twice. :D

Kieth,

A phrase that usually works well for me is "water off a ducks' back". Let the BS roll off your back, and continue your journey.