OT kilts

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT kilts

Post by anima »

I belong to an Irish-American Catholic men's fraternal organization. Some of the fellows got it into their heads that they wanted to get "Irish kilts".

Is there really such a thing? Did or do the Irish actually wear kilts?

Would they look like complete fools if they showed up on your shores wearing kilts?

or...... is this just another example of americans mixing up scottish and irish heritage?

Jeff
Last edited by anima on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
glands

Post by glands »

Jeff, I'd take a careful look at those guys who wanna get you into a skirt.
anima

Post by anima »

oh, I put my foot down, I'm not wearing one.
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Yes, the Irish do have kilts--and may have at some point in the distant past--although the current trend of wearing them dates back to the Gaelic League in the late 19th Century trying to revive "traditional" Irish culture by mostly making it up as they went along.

There are a handful of Irish tartans, but these are also recently made-up bits of "tradition" (then again, the same could be said for the vast majority of Scottish tartans...). Most Irish people who wear kilts wear plain-colored ones such as green or saffron.

Some hoity-toity boys' schools in Ireland require kilts as part of the uniform. You also see Irish pipe bands wearing them...

If you and the boys are really serious about this, approach with great care: this is business best left to professionals.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

There is a lot of grey area there - but most accounts don't include any mention of the Irish in kilts. That being said, there are official plaids for the country, and for each county - official as of something like 1996 if memory serves.

I've actually got a great kilt (yep - just 9 yards of heavy wool give or take) that I've worn out on occasion in the Irish national tartan. It generally serves as a really nice bead spred most of the time now however. :)

The tartan worn there is the "Irish National"
Last edited by Brian Lee on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Irish tartan does exist. A few years back my sister married a Scot. He and his family wore the family tartan. My brother, in a fit of drunken exuberance, suggested that we kit ourselves out in Irish tartan in order to (quote by brother) "show the Jocks that Irish legs are every bit as good-looking". Anyway, upon sobering up, we all decided that it would probably not be in the best of taste if we got kilts. Also, we found out how much it would cost to rent.
PJ
Jessica Ventura

Post by Jessica Ventura »

I like what my boyfriend wears under his kilt.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Jessica Ventura wrote:I like what my boyfriend wears under his kilt.
Shoes?
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

Lipstick?
BigDavy

Kilt

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Anima

A piper in full formal Irish kilt outfit looks quite good actually. Maybe Uilliam can post a picture of himself in full gear with the pipes.

The funny thing is that it can actually make the pipes sound nicer, especially if you have drones going. We noticed that one day at the piper's club when Uilliam turned up in full gear after busking at the celtic game (soccer that is). After a bit of experimentation by Jim then we found that, to our ears at least, the pipes sounded better if you had a piper's friend that was big enough to drape over both legs a la kilt. We reckoned that it was the kilt/piper's friend reflecting (or maybe focusing)more of the sound forward.

Try it and see.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Jessica Ventura wrote:I like what my boyfriend wears under his kilt.
I like the answer:
piper: "Depends"
tourist: "Depends? It depends upon what?"
piper: "Depends! I'm incontinent!"
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Davey happy to oblige...
Click on the images to enlarge.

Image Image
Left to right.
a)Cork Pipers circa 1920. b) Enniskillings Pipers (My Grandfather was a Piper with them).
The oldest recorded plaid was found in Ulster .
The modern kilt is a bit of a fantasy with clann tartans etc.pure fiction inspired by Walter Scott.They wore whatever plaid was being woven locally and most were a dull colour,wot they call"Ancient" in todays marketing jargon. :roll:
The national kilt is saffron chosen because it was a colour much beloved for religous reasons by the ancient Irish and much commented on by the Elizabethans who disdained the Irish mode of dress.
The belted plaid or feileadh mhor was the original as worn? by Brian in his photie..the modern small kilt, feileadh beag was an invention of an English man John Smith who was too hot wearing and working in the Mhor so he cut it down and it became the kilt we know today... the little rascal..
Anima your fraternity are as entitled as anyone else on this planet to wear whatever they like.I would suggest that ye refrain frae calling them skirts tho as ye will cause great offence to many who wear a very taditional form of attire :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
PS I think Davey was referring to the chanter playing into the kilt which certainly did act as a big pipers apron.The drones not so..I would have to be a very odd shape for that to happen!! :o
Last edited by Uilliam on Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I would definitely go for the kilts, anima.

These photos are really interesting.
Last edited by Cynth on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Be modern.

http://www.utilikilts.com/

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
anima

Post by anima »

Uilliam wrote:I would suggest that ye refrain frae calling them skirts tho as ye will cause great offence to many who wear a very taditional form of attire :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
Duly noted, and thread name changed.

Jeff