full set of pipes on eBay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
resnik
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have too many whistles and am beginning to sell off some of the ones which don't get played including French pewter antiques and some very old Clarke and Generation lead fipple instruments.

Post by resnik »

eBay item # 852996961
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

So, what is the reserve on the set?
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

The buy-it-now price is set at $4,500. Should the bids exceed the reserve, the status will change to 'reserve met' but the actual reserve amount isn't disclosed until the end of the bidding.
I would guess the reserve is around $4,000.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Mf ... =852996961
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

1979 would be the very beginning of Quinn's time as a pipemaker, wouldn't it?

Dionys
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

That thought crossed my mind...
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Can anyone confirm if this would be one of his first few sets? Is it like any other maker's first few sets?

Dionys
resnik
Tell us something.: I have too many whistles and am beginning to sell off some of the ones which don't get played including French pewter antiques and some very old Clarke and Generation lead fipple instruments.

Post by resnik »

David Quinn was already making pipes in 1976.
I know this because I found him through an advertisement in Mugwumps magazine at the end of that year. By 1979 he was already making northumbrian & uillean sets that are world class...
Glandman

Post by Glandman »

That indeed looks like a Quinn set (so, I don't think there has been false advertising). David once said that if he could have his first 100 chanters back that he'd burn them. Fact is, his first 100 are still probably better than most chanters one could get their hands on at the present time. I've heard several chanters from that era and they are indeed superb. Then again, I've heard one early Quinn chanter that, even though it sounded fine, was difficult to reed to the specs of Benedict Koehler. In all, this is probably a good buy...unless the set has been mistreated or altered. Ii'd never plunk down $4500 without a condition of sale that they are evaluated by a reputable player or maker, perhaps Mr. Quinn himself, first. At least, one ought to be able to return the purchase if "had" by someone who did not have the integrity to be honest about the quality of the set.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Glandman, I agree. If you could see the pipes, make the sale conditional or if they were 'appraised' by a well known pipemaker it would remove any doubt as to their condition and solidify the purchase. Much could happen to pipes in 23 years... even with the best of care.
The pictures lack detail but you can see the chanter mounts are a different color than the regulators. I clipped the image and lightened it to see if the one key chanter has blocks. It's really hard to tell but I don't think it does.
Lastly, it's in blackwood... wouldn't ebony be more desirable?
Glandman

Post by Glandman »

It is possible that the person making the sale doesn't really know the difference. I do not know how much, if at all, DMQ used generic, non-ebony, blackwood for the chanters. I personally find ebony more desirable. Ebony is said to be more resonant and blackwood more stable in different climates. Some have said blackwood is more mellow. Who reallly knows?
Tony

Post by Tony »

Glandman, It would be nice to compare 2 chanters from the same maker off the same reamer, one in ebony and one in blackwood. Many things are conditional, but I think you're right, the ebony is more resonant.
A clip of the description reads... "the set hasn't been used much in the past 10 years, which is why I'm selling it..."
I get the feeling the person selling this set isn't the owner. Research indicates 159 transactions (bought or sold) all being favorable. Most of these searchable transactions were music related. Also, the listing has changes as well. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... =852996961 something that would indicate revisions after finding more about the item he listed.