Yes & No Answers Only Please

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Yes or no?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 49

Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Yes & No Answers Only Please

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I would like to suggest that this board only allow the answers YES and NO from now on.

It would be one way to contribute to eliminating the complete jibberish and absolute lack of knowledge some people continually come up with - misguiding new members and making old ones wonder why these people think they know so effing much without any sort of experience or real knowledge of the instrument and its music.

Only members that are approved by a panel elected by Joefus Smyth can write more on a topic.

Do you agree? Cast your vote.

Patrick.
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Yes & No Answers Only Please

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:
Only members that are approved by a panel elected by Joefus Smyth can write more on a topic.
... well, theres goes at least 95.9% of anything I have to contribute... but I'll vote yes.... I hate these kind of decisions, why can't I simply choose what kind of whiskey to drink at the C&F Piper's Forum annual benders?
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Yes :oops:
PJ
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Well, a yes vote is certainly going to diminish the frequency at which I post to the forum!
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Absolutely not. There's tons of crap, granted, but newbs can essentially never become "part of the community" under this scheme unless they can somhow prove that they've attended x many tionols, or studied under Master Piper Y for Z # of years. People need to accept the good with the bad. The bad should be easily enough ignored. Too bad I probablly can't vote anyways, not being an expert and all.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

No. The so-called experts are the last to say anything, or offer support, unless its to sneer and cast aspersions. No topics are brought up on this or other forums by the "experts". The forum would die without the constant churn of daily confusion, arguments over little or nothing, misunderstandings, and general ribaldry.

Its a party. Have fun, for feck's sake! :party:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I think that just plain "yes" or "no", depending on the way it is typed (YES. , YES! , Yes, Yes!) and the scariness of the avatar, can seem pretty darned authoritative (I mean, think of your dads for heaven's sake).

The beginner might be so impressed by the plainness of the answer as to think no further discussion could possibly be necessary. He might go away and not check the thread again!!!! If you let people answer that way you'd better have that committee ready to rush right over to tell the new person that that seemingly authoritative "yes" was uttered by a jibberish spouter and that the proper discussion will now commence.

If the jibberish spouter goes ahead and digs his own grave, so to speak, by being allowed to freely utter complete rubbish rather than being buried ahead of time by the yes-no only rule, the beginner may not recognize the answer to his question for what it is but he might still stick around for another opinion based on the mistakes in spelling, punctuation, and grammar that he will find in a statement longer than "yes" or "no".

Then, in addition to being set straight by other members of the board, he will also get the pleasure of witnessing the general willingness of pipers to stand up for the truth as they give the jibberish spouter the drubbing he so clearly deserves.
billh

Post by billh »

Cynth wrote:... he will also get the pleasure of witnessing the general willingness of pipers to stand up for the truth as they give the jibberish spouter the drubbing he so clearly deserves.
Err, this sort of thing tends to cause threads to get locked ;-)
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Let's rephrase the question....
Patrick has kindly offered to send one of his sets around to the members of C&F Uilleann community for evaluation. Just a few days to try it out and all you have to do is pay shipping and insurance and send it to the next member on the list..
Would you like to be added to the list ??
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Cynth wrote:...the mistakes in spelling, punctuation, and grammar ...
I think you might be hinting at someone but for the life of me I can't imagine whom it might be. :-?
PJ
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I was speaking in jest to match what I assumed to be the tone of the question. Definitely not hinting at any individual with regard to anything! Sorry! Should have sprinkled in a few :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Joseph E. Smith

Tony wrote:Let's rephrase the question....
Patrick has kindly offered to send one of his sets around to the members of C&F Uilleann community for evaluation. Just a few days to try it out and all you have to do is pay shipping and insurance and send it to the next member on the list..
Would you like to be added to the list ??
If I thought that there were even a ghost of a chance of that happening... yeah, I'd want to be on that list. It'll give me a good reason to leave the country.... ooops, did I type that out loud?

But seriously, on another Piping Forum there is a stiky topic entitled something like.... "New Pipers' questions Here"... or so... Anybody like to see a topic like that Here?
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

Why should today's newbies be spared the jibberish that we all had to filter thru as yesterday's newbies? I say let 'em slog thru all of it.

"Heck, when I was your age, I walked 5 miles to school each day in the snow - and 10 miles home again at night." : )

- tw

p.s. Patrick played a super set of tunes at Monday night's Noel Hill concert. That Quinn - Taylor style set is sounding mighty fine, yes mighty fine!!!! I vote "Yes" to it sounding mighty fine !!!!

pps. Did I mention that it sounded mighty fine????
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:Anybody like to see a topic like that Here?
Isn't that what the FAQ FAQ FAQ thread is for? You know, the one I'm not supposed to tell newbies about? :wink: :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

djm wrote:
JES wrote:Anybody like to see a topic like that Here?
Isn't that what the FAQ FAQ FAQ thread is for? You know, the one I'm not supposed to tell newbies about? :wink: :D

djm
Then how about renaming it then? Honestly, loads of folks don't read it because doesn't look as though it pertains to them.