A different Cran: Live in Scotland

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A different Cran: Live in Scotland

Post by Dale »

SEPTEMBER Monday 12. BRECHIN, Angus. Gardner Memorial Church, 8.00 pm.

After long sojourns in Europe superb Irish traditional trio CRAN come back to Scotland to play at the Brechin Arts Festival 2005.

CRAN comprise some of the greatest names in Irish traditional music: DESI WILKINSON (flutes and vocals) is one of the leading exponents of the traditional Irish flute, both at home and abroad; SEÁN CORCORAN (lead vocals and bouzouki) is known internationally as one of the leading singers in the Hiberno-English and Gaelic traditions and also as a researcher and teacher; RONAN BROWNE (uilleann pipes, flutes and vocals), the piper in the original recording of RIVERDANCE, is widely regarded as one of the great virtuosos of the uilleann pipes and has carved out an international reputation both as a concert performer and session musician.

CRAN's output since their first epoch-defining 1995 release THE CROOKED STAIR has been a benchmark in Irish traditional song and music. A three-piece with a huge sound that has filled vast halls like the Circus Krone in Munich they can also create an atmosphere as intimate as an Irish fireside. THE ROUGH GUIDE TO IRISH MUSIC says of them: "Stunning vocal arrangements and immaculate musicianship generate sounds of astonishing depth and unstoppable force."

CRAN's concert performances are a dazzling display of technical virtuosity combined with fun and humour, banter and stories. The core of their repertoire is their native Irish material - bubbling dance music or haunting slow airs on flute and pipes, and vocals ranging from the highly-ornamented sean-nós songs of Connemara to the rollicking port a' bhéil or mouthmusic of Donegal. Their Hiberno-English song repertoire (songs from Ireland in English) covers the entire gamut from the old story-telling "long ballads" to lively comic songs of "pure divilment and rascality". They also include material from the related Scots-Gaelic tradition and from the other Atlantic Celts, the Bretons.

CRAN's concert is part of the BRECHIN ARTS FESTIVAL 2005 (10th - 18th September) which also includes early music with Scotland's leading professional vocal ensemble CAPPELLA NOVA, poetry and storytelling with the Aberdeen poetry group SPRING TIDES, exhibitions, workshops and outdoor events including live folk music on board the CALEDONIAN RAILWAY steam train! (More information and bookings are at www.brechinartsfestival.org)

For the duration of the Arts Festival, local establishment THE CALEDONIAN HOTEL is hosting a REAL ALE WEEK with a wide selection of Scottish and English real ales as well as malts from every corner of Scotland, excellent home-cooked food and live traditional music open sessions, plus very comfortable rooms for the tired visitor! (to contact the Caledonian Hotel phone 01356 624345)

Hope to see you there!

Best Regards,

Manuel Balaguer-Cortes
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I like Cran. I like Cran, too.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Dale, how is this different? Looks like the same guys to me.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
djm

Post by djm »

Maybe they all go t haircuts (?). :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Hoppin' up and down
like a herrin' on a griddle.

The cran is the standard measure for caught fish, particularly herring:
http://www.sizes.com/units/cran.htm

Who but the British would come up with 37 1/2 gallons as the basis of a unit of measure :lol: ?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
kenny

"Cran" in Dublin

Post by kenny »

If you can’t wait until September, “Cran” are doing a performance in Dublin on Sunday 7th August. Venue is “The Tailor’s Hall”, Christchurch, Dublin.
The e-mail I got said that: “Places are a bit limited, so check with Jason at 086 2781339 if you want to reserve a ticket.”
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

kkrell wrote:Dale, how is this different? Looks like the same guys to me.
I think he's referring to the board member, Cranberry (aka Cran).

I have Cran's "Lover's Ghost" CD and it is really good.

Cheers,
Aaron
kenny

"Cran" - reminder

Post by kenny »

Since this was first mentioned in July, I thought it worth reminding anyone around Brechin about this concert.
There’s a rare chance to hear 3 of Ireland’s finest musicians in Scotland on Monday 12th September . The trio “Cran” are appearing at the Brechin Arts Festival in Angus. They are Sean Corcoran, on vocals and bouzouki, Desi Wilkinson on flute and whistles, and Ronan Browne on uilleann pipes and whistles.
Information can be obtained from : mailto:info@brechinartsfestival.org
I'd say there's a possibility they may be joined for a few tunes by Tiarna, Ronan's sister who is a very fine fiddle-player, and lives "down the road" in Fife. This happened last year in Edinburgh, and the sound was mighty.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"