When did you start playing the Uilleann bagpipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadogin »

Uilleo wrote:Texasbagpiper, The pipes were made by David McCort of Los Gatos, CA. They are in D and have a mainstock for future addition of drones/regs.
He is a local here, a nice guy and a good piper. I've never tried one of his sets but he always sounds good playing his own. The only thing I hear is that the reeds are hard so I hope you have a strong left arm!

Justine
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

nope never been to Ohio..... He sold his uilleann's for smallpipes :-? Isnt that a crime in some states... :D
If you can make Uilleann Pipes, you deserve to.
Bruce Childress 2004
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

I got this off the internet...

Dave McCort
Los Gatos, California
McCort makes drums for Chris Caswell; Greg Taylor tells me that they are excellent instruments in both sound and workmanship. McCort makes Y-shaped crossbars, which Greg feels allows the off hand to move more freely across the skin.
If you can make Uilleann Pipes, you deserve to.
Bruce Childress 2004
eric

Post by eric »

> Willie Clancy started in his 20s

I think Willie was already an accomplished traditional musician on the flute and whistle by that time though, yeah?

> Tommy Keane ... started in his early 20s.

From his bio page here, http://www.iol.ie/~marmusic/Tommy%20Kea ... graphy.htm , it looks like he indeed started in on the music in his early twenties.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Pat Cannady wrote:
carel wrote:Pat, I agree
But talking about this
I wonder if there are examples of great pipers who started at a later age.
Willie Clancy started in his 20s, not sure when exactly...at his best he was a formidable piper when everything worked on his set.

WIllie got, to use own words, a thorough grounding in the music from his father whne he was a very tender age. By the time he first heard a set of pipes he was already a very accomplished musician. He did regret starting too late on the pipes though. When asked his opinion on the 'young' players of the day (1972) he said 'they start too late'. And he was right, the ones that do start young have a headstart few starting later will ever overcome.
MikeyLikesIt
antispam: No

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Oh, started in September at the ancient age of 19 :) . Still very green I suppose. Got my Roberts practice set then, now I'm waiting for my full set from a more local pipemaker. Now I fully empathize with those who have and are in the dreadful wait. :(

-Mike
Uilleo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Uilleo »

Feadogin,Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. Texaspiper, I did see that on the net, I hope he gets the same kind of praise for his pipes. To get back on subject, "Tis Farty-three I am." -Leo[/quote]
Make a Joyful Noise
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Peter Laban wrote:
Pat Cannady wrote:
carel wrote:Pat, I agree
But talking about this
I wonder if there are examples of great pipers who started at a later age.
Willie Clancy started in his 20s, not sure when exactly...at his best he was a formidable piper when everything worked on his set.

WIllie got, to use own words, a thorough grounding in the music from his father whne he was a very tender age. By the time he first heard a set of pipes he was already a very accomplished musician. He did regret starting too late on the pipes though. When asked his opinion on the 'young' players of the day (1972) he said 'they start too late'. And he was right, the ones that do start young have a headstart few starting later will ever overcome.
Lest our spirits sink too low, how does Tommy Keane sound on his Wooff B set? That's something I'd like to hear...
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

On the question of starting young, I've no doubt that it helps achieve a very high level, but the fact that one starts playing in their mid-20s or 30 or at 49, or whatever doesn't detract from the enjoyment of playing.

I know a guy who will be retiring soon (aged 65) and his ambition for his retirement is to learn to play the uilleann pipes. He's never played music, but loves to listen. I think that's excellent. His grandson (10) also wants to learn so as well as buying himself a half set, the granddad is buying the grandson a practice set. :)
PJ
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

how does Tommy Keane sound on his Wooff B set? That's something I'd like to hear...

Well, as Tommy Keane playing a flat set. He's trying to work a few things into his playing he saw another Wooff player do though :D

There was a solo CD planned for the set but I don't know how that progressed.
On the question of starting young, I've no doubt that it helps achieve a very high level, but the fact that one starts playing in their mid-20s or 30 or at 49, or whatever doesn't detract from the enjoyment of playing.
Maybe not, but I am teaching a few young ones who have started the whistle aged four, who have always been around music growing up. They have an instinctive understanding of the music late starters will never achieve, from playing along with a tune second time around and filling in the gaps with pure WIllie Clancy variations without realising it.
I know not all will have that but late starters will certainly not have that fluency. I can imagine starting at fifty or later will bring a lot of frustration if you're serious about it, Over the past twenty years or so I occasionally pick up a fiddle and that's certainly frustrating stuff even if I can knock a tune out of it.
Last edited by Cayden on Thu May 19, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hip O'Potamus

Post by Hip O'Potamus »

September 2005.
carel

Post by carel »

[quote="PJ"]
I know a guy who will be retiring soon (aged 65) and his ambition for his retirement is to learn to play the uilleann pipes. He's never played music, but loves to listen. I think that's excellent.

I absolutly agree on that
must be a wise man
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

I started about 1998, but loved 'em for many years prior. Planxty and B. Band were major influences.

I took them up on a dare from a fiddler that wanted to have a piper to play with. We now play duets together, however he is much better than I still. I also play clawhammer banjo, flute, guitar and dobro.

The new schedule for becoming a piper is 28 years:

7 years listening
7 years waiting for a set
7 year practising
7 years playing out.

I certainly waited a long time (5 years for a half set from C. Fischer). I finally gave up and bought a great K&Q half set used. So for me, getting a decent 1/2 set took about 7 years. Yikes !!!!!!

- tom
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

wolvy wrote:7 years waiting for a set
Funny BECAUSE it's true :lol:
PJ
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

February 2004.

I was told (several times) by a piper at the local session to move to a "real" instrument (flute or pipes from whistle). I also found myself with a lot more free time on my hands, due to a lack of "significant other".

I heard the pipes on various videos etc, but I HEARD the pipes at the session from this piper. He is also my teacher. (Along with another, also a former student of Chris L.)

Yes.