When did you start playing the Uilleann bagpipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

When did you start playing the Uilleann bagpipes?

Post by 123454321 »

:-?

So, when did you all start playing this instrument?
Why? Where did you hear (about) them?
Do you play other instruments? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Starting Playing

Post by BigDavy »

Hi 123454321

I started playing UPs about 2 years ago after trying to learn the smallpipes.

Reason for learning 1) I like the sound 2) The Uilleann chanter fits my hand structure better than the smallpipe chanter.

I first heard the Uilleann pipes played live in the 1980's when listening to a band called Setanta who had a piper called David Munroe, (you have a lot to answer for Davy).

Other instruments played - percussion (bodhran, djembe, darabuka, udu, talking drum etc).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I still have yet to start. If only I had more money...
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

You should know that no one answers this question honestly. :wink:

I say 3 years.
Got my practice set about 15 years ago but they spent a lot of time in the closet until a few years ago.
First heard them in the Bothy Band, first saw them being played by John Tuohy of San Diego.

Why? They sound cool. What else do I play? I've played whistle for about 17 years, I also play fiddle a little but only polkas.

Justine
L42B

Post by L42B »

Um....don't ask how I got onto this beast of an instrument. A very long story indead.

I think it was my father (he doesn't play them though) who introduced me to the instrument. Before the Uilleann Pipes I had been playing the smallpipes (one year beforehand) and the GHB's for four years prior. But Paddy Moloney one me over.

I don't know if it was the jig that he played on the Down the old Plank Road DVD (track one)? Or was it the machanics of this monster? Either way here I am not nearly a year after learning this instrument and I'm onto Vol. 3 of the NPU tutor videos.

Cheers L42B :D
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Thought it would be a good thing to do at the time (still do)

Planxty Record (The Black Album)

Yes

DG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
smithand

Post by smithand »

Been playing(?) for a week.

First heard the uilleann pipes either on the Pogues LP Rum, Sodumy and the Lash or on some film or other before that. I've always loved the sound and, along wioth the harp, it is one of the only two instruments I have ever really wanted to play.

Andrew
Rick

Post by Rick »

the sound

ireland

yes
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

Finbar Fureys rendering of A piper in the meadow straying. The sound from that tune and the feel...
Never seen a set of pipes before I got my first practice set. thought the wind hose between bellows and bag was supposed to be on my back...hehe it didnt work so I had to get the NPU tutor.
Been to 3 workshops in Copenhagen since.
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

pipeige

Post by rgouette »

I thought everyone got started after hearing Caoineadh Cú Chulainn?
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

I started when I found out all the chicks you could get...LOL!!!
Feo

Post by Feo »

I started sometime in the 90's , after having met Nick Whitmer, who was down in Va. at the time. After he played some really cool tunes on his Uillean for me I asked him where I could get a set like that ?...and he told me he'd make me one....

Which suited me fine because at the time I was playing the GHB and trying to figure out how you play Irish tunes on a GHB without them coming out sounding half-arsed... conclusion : impossible, time to get an Irish pipe for Irish tunes LOL

My friends appreciated that switch in bagpipes too, I think, because they were playing Irish harp,whistle, guitar, etc and would run away at the sight of a GHB .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

So, when did you all start playing this instrument?
1996, stopped in 1999 and went travelling. Started again in 2001. Still going.

Why?
Enchanted by the sound. Wanted to be able to make the same sound.

Where did you hear (about) them?
My first recollection of hearing them was in school (in Ireland) when the teacher played recordings of various "Irish" instruments (flute, fiddle, tin whistle, harp, Brian Boru Pipes, Irish Warpipes, Uilleann Pipes, etc). I distinctly remember thinking that the Uilleann pipes were much nicer than all the others. I got a gift voucher for Golden Discs in 1987 and bought Mark Knopfler's Soundtrack to the movie Cal. Liam O'Flynn and Paul Brady appear on the soundtrack. I wore out the tape listening over and over again to LOF. Later, I bought Davy Spillane and rediscovered Moving Hearts, Planxty, Chieftains, etc. I'm currently re-rediscovering Planxty and the Chieftains.

Do you play other instruments?
Guitar (DADGAD preferably), whistles, flute (for a bit), bodhran (but don't tell anyone).
PJ
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Started about 2 1/2 -3 yrs ago, but have had minimal practice time, so I'd say I'm about 1 yr. into my 21. :boggle:

I loved the sound for years but only started pursuing it actively since seeing the dreaded Spillane appearence.

I also play guitar, bass, oboe, whistles, mandolin and used to play piano, French and English Horns.

At least I should be ready to play the pipes out when I'm too old to jump around on stage like an idiot with a guitar anymore.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Early 2000, I spent a while learning the basics, and then began studying the make of the pipes because I wanted to make my own, and I waded into the zen of reed making..

Sound! :D
Pumping Bellows!
Making reeds :-?
If you can make Uilleann Pipes, you deserve to.
Bruce Childress 2004