Pedigree pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Purist or Mix 'n' Match?

One maker made all the parts of my set
60%
My set is the work of two or more makers
40%

Total votes: 45

PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Pedigree pipes

Post by PJ »

Is your set of pipes the product of one pipemaker - are you a purist? Or do you prefer to mix and match chanter, drones, regs, etc. to get the best or cheapest or prettiest combination?
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Then there's repair/rehab jobs on older neglected sets. Sometimes it's better -when feasible- to go with the nearest pipewright instead of sending them halfway around the world even if the original maker is still at it.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

For terms of sound wouldn't having other makers parts throw off the blend and balance of some sets?
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

no, the reeds are what really controls the balance...

Although you could have a chanter that is too loud for the drones, or vice versa, but it should all be fixable via reeds.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pedigree pipes

Post by BigDavy »

Hi PJ

What about both, I have a single maker practice set (Jim Daily) and mix and match practice sets (CJ Dixon/ Uillium/ Pakistani).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Pedigree pipes

Post by PJ »

BigDavy wrote:Hi PJ

What about both, I have a single maker practice set (Jim Daily) and mix and match practice sets (CJ Dixon/ Uillium/ Pakistani).

David
Hey!! No double voting!! :wink:

Seriously, Daily's pipes interest me greatly. They're unique. It the sound clips on his website are anything to go by, they'd hold their own against most other modern makers.
PJ
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Double Voting

Post by BigDavy »

Hi PJ

Glad you like the sound of Jim's pipes. I do too, the best sounding D chanter I've heard is the blackwood one he made me (please note this is when played by someone that can play, my playing would make Royce say Antaine's is not so bad after all).
If you are thinking of buying from him, you will get a nice sounding chanter, what it will look like is anyones guess however!!. As you say that you like unique then that Jim definately will provide.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Due to purely financial constraints, I'm building a set up with any parts I can get/afford. I'd love a nice complete and balanced set, but I'd rather be practicing and learning now than waiting forever and saving $$$ up. So for now, it's Brittonized P-drones and P-chanter (soon to be repalced with a CJD chanter) and CJD bellows. Someday I'll add whatever regs I can find/afford.

If I win the lottery, I'll order a Boisvert or Gallagher. :)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

WannabePiper wrote: CJD chanter) and CJD bellows.
Sounds like <a href="http://www.cjd.ed.ac.uk/intro.htm">something</a> you get from eating BSE infected beef. :P
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Peter Laban wrote:
WannabePiper wrote: CJD chanter) and CJD bellows.
Sounds like <a href="http://www.cjd.ed.ac.uk/intro.htm">something</a> you get from eating BSE infected beef. :P
You know, as a former psychology major, I should've chosen a better abbreviation. :oops:
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

WannabePiper wrote:If I win the lottery, I'll order a Boisvert or Gallagher. :)
Without knowing for sure, I'll bet a lot of pipemakers would welcome lottery winners to make inquiries and may even let them go to the front of their queue for the right price.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

My O Briain half-set is a pure boxwood blueblood. However, I'm just about to mail off a wee check for a downpayment on some regs from an American maker so they will become a mongrelized set in the future...Given today's exchange rates, I can't risk ordering something from Europe priced in real money...
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

I'd be careful getting cheap regs wannabepiper, the amount of pipers I've seen with purely ornamental regs, as theirs just won't play/stay in tune is considerable. Maybe better to enjoy playing a half set and saving up.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

buskerSean wrote:I'd be careful getting cheap regs wannabepiper, the amount of pipers I've seen with purely ornamental regs, as theirs just won't play/stay in tune is considerable. Maybe better to enjoy playing a half set and saving up.
Yeah, I guess I misspoke. I meant whatever DECENT regs I can afford. I do have some standards.