ITM: Teampall an Ghleanntáin

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
L42B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

ITM: Teampall an Ghleanntáin

Post by L42B »

One of the tunes that I have taught myself Teampall an Ghleanntáin (Crissoned the Hairy Reel by Patrick D'Arcy and gang). Is a rather unusual tune. It has a very limited scale which makes me think that the tune was orriginaly written for the pipes. The tune also has a very big lilt feel for a 4/4 time which makes me think that it might have been in a different time signature before being written down. Maybe it was 6/8 or 9/8?

I personally think it sounds better played in a closed style (that's probably because I play a closed style mind you :)). I also find you can give the tune an interesting sound by craning the D every second time through.

Any comments?

Cheers L42B :)
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Ooooh! Crissoned!

That's nearly an eggcorn if ever there were a nearly-eggcorn.

Now I have to go find the reel and see what you're talking about.

Stuart
L42B

Post by L42B »

Sturob, hears the link for you http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/1988 (or anyone else who is interested). For sound clips hears the a sound teaser from the 'Seven Years of Listening' http://members.cox.net/eskin2/tionol_teaser.mp3 the CD is produced by the Southern California Uilleann Pipers Club.

PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nice reel. Who performs it on the CD?
PJ
feadogin

Re: ITM: Teampall an Ghleanntáin

Post by feadogin »

L42B wrote:One of the tunes that I have taught myself Teampall an Ghleanntáin (Crissoned the Hairy Reel by Patrick D'Arcy and gang). Is a rather unusual tune. It has a very limited scale which makes me think that the tune was orriginaly written for the pipes. The tune also has a very big lilt feel for a 4/4 time which makes me think that it might have been in a different time signature before being written down. Maybe it was 6/8 or 9/8?

I personally think it sounds better played in a closed style (that's probably because I play a closed style mind you :)). I also find you can give the tune an interesting sound by craning the D every second time through.

Any comments?

It's a kickass tune, huh?

Can you post a clip of yourself so we can hear it played in the closed style? I'd be interested to hear the difference in interpretations.

Justine
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

sturob wrote:Ooooh! Crissoned!

That's nearly an eggcorn if ever there were a nearly-eggcorn.

Stuart
Great site Stuart. I especially like the 'doggy-dog world' entries -

Americans are always in a rush, always looking at the clock, never waiting patiently. It’s a doggy dog world out there. (link)
Only those nations survive in this doggy dog world that consider their land, language, culture and freedom above all petty differences of religion, social class, and economic standing. (link)
the true matter is: it’s a doggy dog world out there and they’re all in it for the money. (link)
The guard may have just been saying what he thought was expected of him, but you can certainly see how a doggie dog world leads to homophobia. (link)
He took kids and taught them the ways to become successful in this doggie dog world, including me. (link)

ImageImageImageImageImage
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
L42B

Post by L42B »

Justine Wrote

It's a k@#** tune, huh?

Can you post a clip of yourself so we can hear it played in the closed style? I'd be interested to hear the difference in interpretations.

Justine
It'll have to be next week sometimes (no promises though). I've been very bussy at the moment with things other than pipes. It also depends if my friend will allow me to borrow his recording studio for an hour :lol:. As I'll be recording some CD's for some friends of mine in Dublin as well.

Cheers L42B :D
Bill Reeder

Re: ITM: Teampall an Ghleanntáin

Post by Bill Reeder »

feadogin wrote:
It's a kickass tune, huh?

Justine
Good tune! Tonight I sneaked away from my kitchen project long enough to get it down on the whistle. Tomorrow, I'll put it on the pipes.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Sup niggaz,

The CD L42B is talking about it the Southern Califirnia Uilleann Pipers Club CD we just finished putting together of our last tionol concert which took place in October 2004 and featured Mick O'Brien, Caoimhin O Raghallaigh and Benedict Koehler. It's magical stuff. Mick and Caoimhin 'christened' Teampeall an Gleanntain the "Hairy Reel" ... Caoimhin tells the tale in the clip above :) Great craic altogether!

Here's a link to more about the CD http://www.socalpipers.com/store.html

D'Arcy Out.