Don't bother bringing them pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
magroibin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Don't bother bringing them pipes

Post by magroibin »

I just had a rather unusual phone call prior to tonight's weekly session. A fellow asked me if I wouldn't mind leaving my pipes at home and playing something else...ie flute. He said that others have complained about the volume of the pipes, especially with the drones and regulators going.

I'm not really sure how to take this. I do admit that pipes have a certain volume, but last week I played the session with a new chanter reed from Kirk Lynch that does play softer than the previous reed.

So...any thoughts???
Are the pipes to "pipey" for an irish trad session? Do I resort to playing fiddle or flute?

Paul

p.s. I'd gladly play guitar but the fellow who was asked to "no longer bring his loud electric piano" is playing guitar!
piobaire mor

Post by piobaire mor »

The only way to deal with this is to take them outside one by one and introduce them to an iron bar!!! No, I wouldn't let it bother you. Most typical session players suffer an ignorance regarding the pipes. If I were you I wouldn't go back, unless you need the money.
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Don't bother bringing them pipes

Post by Jumper »

magroibin wrote:Do I resort to playing fiddle or flute?
Bring an accordion. A really big one. :devil:

Jonathan
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

shove a bodhran stick up his crotch. Tell him the procedure is to mute the bodhran.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

NO SURRENDER!!!!! They need to learn the tunes you play so they can drown you out ;-) I've started getting folks to play "gander in the pratie hole" hehehehehe
vcolby

Post by vcolby »

Paul,

Here are some potential responses:

Fiddler: Put your pinky back on that bow and pull like a man.

Button Player: Squeeze that thing like it is MM and you are JFK.

Whistle Player: How bout a bl-w?

Flute Player: Does it hurt when you hit yourself with that stick?

Bohdran Player: Please leave that at home and bring C4.

Just kidding of course. A session includes all of these instruments...together, none should be excluded.

I've heard your piping and pipes -- fine both.

Cheers,

Virgil
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Jumper wrote:
magroibin wrote:Do I resort to playing fiddle or flute?
Bring an accordion. A really big one. :devil:

Jonathan
An accordian?
That's what the guy who called me on the phone plays! :boggle:
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Anyway, I'm back from the session and I'm glad to say that all escaped unscathed. No violence or threats thereof. (I mean we're Canadians after all!)

I brought my pipes, whistles and fiddle. I started off on the fiddle but switched to pipes when things got warmed up. No problems as far as I could tell.

From my perspective I could hear everyone else play so I think the volume levels are fine. I did play in a bit "tighter" style which, I find, lets the other instruments be heard better.

Funny thing though, the session was unexpectedly cancelled at the local pub, so a kind budding box player offered his house for us to play at.

...He asked for a pipe solo!!! :lol:
wharfedalecarving

Post by wharfedalecarving »

It is blatantly obvious why they want you OUT.
The pipes steal the show, always have, always will. No other session instrument compares to the beauty of the pipes. Pure envy and jealousness on their part. Anyway, if it's volume they are concerned about, how many times have we as pipers been "smothered" by over-enthusiastic bodhran players and button boxes, accordians and such :-?
It's the "Green Eyed God" syndrome my man.
Personally, I'm all for sticking a sign on the entrance door to all sessions:
"PLEASE LEAVE YOUR ACCORDIAN'S, MELODIAN'S, BODHRAN'S, GUITAR'S (only ONE guitar allowed per session providing you buy the beer), CONCERTINA'S & BANJO'S IN THE SKIP PROVIDED. THANK YOU". :D
Keep in there ya here?
Joseph (the UK one) :wink:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Give 'em time, they'll get used to it.... if not, that's their problem.
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Wharfdalecarving wrote:
It is blatantly obvious why they want you OUT.
The pipes steal the show, always have, always will. No other session instrument compares to the beauty of the pipes. Pure envy and jealousness on their part. Anyway, if it's volume they are concerned about, how many times have we as pipers been "smothered" by over-enthusiastic bodhran players and button boxes, accordians and such
He got it totally right there, not to say that a session is a competition, but they can't compete with the beauty of the pipes...
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

wharfedalecarving wrote:It is blatantly obvious why they want you OUT.
The pipes steal the show, always have, always will. No other session instrument compares to the beauty of the pipes. Pure envy and jealousness on their part. Anyway, if it's volume they are concerned about, how many times have we as pipers been "smothered" by over-enthusiastic bodhran players and button boxes, accordians and such :-?
It's the "Green Eyed God" syndrome my man.
Personally, I'm all for sticking a sign on the entrance door to all sessions:
"PLEASE LEAVE YOUR ACCORDIAN'S, MELODIAN'S, BODHRAN'S, GUITAR'S (only ONE guitar allowed per session providing you buy the beer), CONCERTINA'S & BANJO'S IN THE SKIP PROVIDED. THANK YOU". :D
Keep in there ya here?
Joseph (the UK one) :wink:
I couldn't agree more..at least that's what I perceive here after only being here for about 2yrs..other players sometimes have huge ego's and a lot of ignorance..being an outsider of course..
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

magroibin wrote: So...any thoughts???
Are the pipes to "pipey" for an irish trad session?
Its hard to give objective comment only having heard one side of the story and not having much detail, but in general I'd respect what the core group collective are going for - especially if I'm not a core group musician. I'd respect the dynamics if I'm going to stay and play. Every session has their own quirks and its not right to spoil it for most of the group members if they really think my playing don't fit right.

Then again it might be just that the guy's problem, so you need to feel the ground a bit. See what the other people think.

I've been to a couple of sessions where the pipes are obnoxiously shrill (especially so being concert pitch) and sounding terrible, so I can empathize with such complaints. Sometimes its the other way round though, especially with the more accomplished pipers - all the intricate and delicious piping detail getting lost in a general wall of sound.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Gee, you Canadians are well-balanced. :wink: I am impressed by the way you handled the situation. I would undoubtedly have stomped off in a hurt rage---not that I do play or ever will play in sessions. If you could hear the other instruments, then clearly you were being very considerate. I have a feeling maybe the accordion player has the problem---but just let him go. I think the fact that you were asked to play a solo will forestall any future remarks. Congratulations! :party:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It's not uncommon for pipers to get the cold shoulder at sessions, but I've only heard of it happening when over-enthusiastic pipers join a session and instantly try to take over. It seems to me that you have been going to this session for a while.

Have new players recently joined? If so, maybe they're not used to playing with a piper.

My own experience is that drones and regs are great for solo piping and for arranged pieces, but in sessions, they don't go down that well.

That said, if there is more than one bodhran player in the session, it's probably ruined anyway, so look for a new one.
PJ