Yikes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Wetootwaag
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Be sure to check out my historic music podcast if you are interested in that sort of thing. I play between 10-20 tunes from sources primarily from the eighteenth of early nineteenth century on Uilleann Pipes, Great Highland Bagpipes, Scottish Small Pipes, Border Pipes and whistles. https://www.wetootwaag.com/

Yikes

Post by Wetootwaag »

Saw this over on Bob Dunsire's message boards. Gotta check it out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 14192&rd=1
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

Of course, the sound is the same. They are new, complete, ready to play, custom built by maker. All drones including blowpipe and chanter, extended mounts, ring caps, and beaded ferrules are Polypenco.

$1,000 starting bid for plastic pipes?

"yikes" is right.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Who would have thought that Polypenco could be so beautiful. Plus, you can put stickers on it!! :o

I've already cancelled my order for the snakewood stock and demanded it be made of Polypenco instead. :boggle:

But seriously, there's probably a reason why the maker has never seen white drones, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.
brianc

Post by brianc »

PJ wrote:Who would have thought that Polypenco could be so beautiful. Plus, you can put stickers on it!! :o

I've already cancelled my order for the snakewood stock and demanded it be made of Polypenco instead. :boggle:

But seriously, there's probably a reason why the maker has never seen white drones, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

I wonder if the maker has let this material (polypenco) sit in the sun to see if it turns that funky-looking yellow/orange color.... ?

:boggle:
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

look on ebay for the designer color violins...blue, red, green, purple, yellow, white and black...
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

brianc wrote:
PJ wrote:Who would have thought that Polypenco could be so beautiful. Plus, you can put stickers on it!! :o

I wonder if the maker has let this material (polypenco) sit in the sun to see if it turns that funky-looking yellow/orange color.... ?

:boggle:
I was thinking the exact same thing.... and then I pondered the question: "Will it pass the Microwave Test"? :D
brianc

Post by brianc »

Oh boy, here come all the warning labels!

Now there's an idea... PJ earlier said you could put stickers on them... I'm thinking advertising!

"Say... is that a highland piper or Richard Petty?"
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

This quoted from the maker's website:
I am off to iron my uniform and fluff my feather bonnet! Thank you for your attention and your patience.
*shakes head*
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: I was thinking the exact same thing.... and then I pondered the question: "Will it pass the Microwave Test"? :D

cats and GHB are the reasons why God made microwaves the size He did... :lol:
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

You know they guy who made the Pipes could have used Holly it is the original material GHBs were made of until they started importing exotic woods. Holly is a softer wood but I know of maker's who use and and say it is not too soft. They do say it is the softest wood for builing instruments. The Pipes look really cool though. :D
John Dally

Post by John Dally »

Other makers have produced good sounding, steady pipes using plastic. White plastic in the hide-bound world of GHB it would be like wearing a pink feather bonnet.

The price is what struck me about this advert. For $1000 you can get a basic set from an established maker in ABW or Cocobolo.

The very best wishes for Mr. West. He has yet to establish his reputation, good or bad. I wouldn't judge the sound of the pipes based on their color.

Just one of the things I really like about Roddy MacLellan's pipes, which I rep in this part of the world, is that he uses plastic mounts only if the customer requests it. Otherwise he uses wood, silver, legal ivory or horn mounts. He makes the drones in cocobolo, with other woods available on request. His basic set in cocobolo, with wood mounts, sells for the same price as this set of plastic pipes.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Robbie Hughes made a set in polypenko about 20 years ago.
brianc

Post by brianc »

John Dally wrote:Other makers have produced good sounding, steady pipes using plastic. White plastic in the hide-bound world of GHB it would be like wearing a pink feather bonnet.
:lol: :lol:

I agree about the price - $1,000 for plastic is a little steep, I think. Using polypenco (from years ago, correct there, this is nothing new, only the color is 'new') was intended to make a set of pipes a tad more affordable and also much easier to manufacture, too.

Still :lol: at the visual of a pink feather bonnet....