Bellows poll - metal hinge vs leather hinge

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CJ DIXON
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bellows poll - metal hinge vs leather hinge

Post by CJ DIXON »

I would like very much input from all who view this as to whether they prefer a metal hinge or a leather hinge on your bellows. I realize everyone has their own preference ... what I would like is to incorporate the "majority rule" into my bellows design.

Many thanks,
CJ
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Why not go with your own preference.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
CJ DIXON

Post by CJ DIXON »

Hi Dionys,
I just count as one opinion I'm afraid and I certainly don't think that my opinion is the only one that matters. In order for me to offer an instrument who's design will satisfy the majority, I require feedback from as many experienced users as will offer their insight...

...58 views and no preference??

Cheers,
CJ
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Why not continue to offer both leather and metal hinges...rather than limit yourself to one style?
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

CJ,
I kind of agree with Dionys.
It depends on what you are used to playing. I'd say the majority of pipers don't consiously choose what kind of bellows the want. They'll decide on a maker based on chanters, regulators and drones. Whatever bellows that maker happens to make is what you end up with. But I'm sure there are some out there who have bought bellows from makers with good bellows reputation.
Anytime I've had to get a new bellows my deciding factors were nearest maker, shortest waiting time and price.
I think the idea of a metal hinged bellows is great but in the 20 years I've been playing I've never used one so I don't really know what they're like.
If I was you I'd settle on a design that won't be a pain in the hole to make when you're still at it 20 years from now. Make sure its sturdy and the leather will last a good while. Maybe design it so it will be recogniseable as a CJ Dixon bellows. Froment, Wooff, De Keyser and others make bellows' that are recogniseable.
But really, it is your call.
Tommy
djm

Post by djm »

I have used both, and much prefer the metal hinges (a la Wooff). If metal hinges were more available, more pipers would have a chance to try them, so that you would get a much more informed consensus. Obviously metal hinges are not necessary for good piping, as the many pipers with leather hinges, or no hinge at all (unhinged?) can testify to. But who would sleep on the floor if they could have a bed? :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Michael Dow's bellows are SOTA and do not use a metal hinge. The majority of bellows in existence (90%+) do not have the metal hinge on them.

I would concentrate on your target market for buying your bellows and gear up for their requirements. Who is the target buyer?
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Not that I'm qualified to speak up on matters like this, but I have to echo Jim McGuire's comment on Mike Dow's bellows. Two of my friends use his bellows and love them. The practice set I'm borrowing has Dow bellows as well. I can't play diddly yet, but they do seem nice.
Corin
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Why not make a "deluxe" model with a metal hinge and a leather hinged "basic" model? Just make 'em airtight and aesthetically pleasing and you'll be fine either way.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

WannabePiper wrote: Just make 'em airtight and aesthetically pleasing and you'll be fine either way.
Efficient and easy to use could be a consideration too. :D

I have been playing a metal hinged bellows for the past 18 or 19 years and that suits me well. Leather hinges sometimes seem to enable the clappers to move in different directions, making the bellows movement less efficient.
CJ DIXON

Post by CJ DIXON »

It is settled then... I shall offer both a brass hinge and leather hinge and let the user decide which they prefer when ordering. This way both sides win and neither has to sacrifice their personal preference on the likes of me. :)

Thank you all for your time and input.

Cheers,
CJ
Greg Schnider

Post by Greg Schnider »

In the latest issue of The Pipers' Review, David Quinn posed a very similar question in an article he wrote - part IV on making hand stitched bellows.

His general opinion is that he doesn't like metal hinges, and provides some details (and nice pictures) on an alternative hinge design that he likes to use.

Greg