Scott full set for sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I had a chanter with an e''' key, it also gave a much cleaner ghost d. Like what you get using the Eb key on a flute. You could do a semitone trill on the back D, if that floats your boat.
The seller still says on the description that it will be "Difficult" (sounds like Manuel on Fawlty Towers) to ship outside EU, but in the emails he says impossible. I'm not going to bother with this, nice though it'd be to own.

Here's what the bell of the chanter looks like, eccchhhh:

Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Here's what the bell of the chanter looks like, eccchhhh:
Methinks that chanter spent a few decades as a drainpipe for the kitchen sink. :really:
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Looks like old filler of some sort. You can see the line between the putty and the thin layer of wood. Maybe, maybe, nothing a big rush woundn't solve. Not unusual for the reed seat to be ¼" wide, but not the throat!
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The auction closed successfully; looks like the set is going to Germany; same buyer bought the Geoff Wooff half set that was up on eBAY:

Winning Bid: GBP 1,750.00 (approx. US $3,184.83)
First Bid: GBP 20.00(approx. US $36.40)
# of bids: 8
Time left: Auction has ended.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

What a steal! Regardless of the chanter problem.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Wow... that guy is doing well for himself! Congratulations to him!

PD.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I hope I can hear it being played somewhere in the not so distant future.
reedman

Post by reedman »

I wonder if Mr Rogge will be the man to put this set back into its original
key and do the "Biz" with this set, if anyone he's the for the Job. :wink:
"Over and out".
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

[quote="reedman" if anyone he's the for the Job. :wink:
[/quote]

Andreas Rogge: the definite article.
stew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

I think reedman mean't to say that ,he's the man for the job, that being
Mr Rogge, :oops: Which I totaly agree. right Reedman.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Scott full set for sale

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hi,
just came back from a holyday (Sommermusikfest). I couldn´t attend the final two hours of the auction but I was the high bidder at that time. When I came back I switched into internet with trembling fingers and nearly burst. I MADE IT! I´m ful of joy and simply had to tell yous. I´m plannig to have the chanter filled and rereamed since it is "butchered" anyway, so that after the restauration the set will not only be a pleasure to look at but also to reed (and consequently to play). I will post pictures and a sound file in time. I can´t write more things now and will pay attention to the saying they have over here: "Don´t sell the bear´s skin before you got him" (Funny thing cause bears are long extinct in Germany).
Best
Hans

P. S.: Many thanks for the congratulations!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cool, can't wait to hear it restored to a playable state. Congratulations.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Scott full set for sale

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hi,
just wanted to let you know that the Sott has arrived. Of course, unpacking the parcel felt like on a child´s birthday. The chanter is c (or very close to). It has not been shortened. As the man I´m planning to have it restored by seems to be on holydays I can´t write you anything further about this so far.
Best
Hans
billh

Re: Scott full set for sale

Post by billh »

Hans-Joerg wrote: I´m plannig to have the chanter filled and rereamed since it is "butchered" anyway, so that after the restauration the set will not only be a pleasure to look at but also to reed (and consequently to play). ...
HI Hans!

I hesitate to tell you what to do with your new purchase, but I hope you reconsider the above plan. Even if/though the chanter has been thoroughly butchered, there may be bits of information to be gleaned from what's left. In cases where part of an instrument isn't restorable (and by "restore" I don't include irreversible changes), I think it's better to replace. It wouldn't take more effort IMO to replace the chanter outright than it would to fill/re-ream/etc., and the end result might be more musically satisfactory. The resemblance to the original, if the chanter is filled and rebored, would be only cosmetic anyhow.

I have some concerns that this kind of logic can be taken too far, too, though I don't accuse you of this kind of thinking, i.e. "the finger holes were enlarged, so I might as well get it re-bored" but it's a slippery slope. There's almost nothing left of Scott's work anyway, it would be a shame to lose even what fragmentary knowledge could be gleaned from an already-mistreated chanter.

best regards

Bill
Hans-Joerg

Scott full set for sale

Post by Hans-Joerg »

billh,
what you write makes sense to me. So, I think it is better to have it copied - including the odd c natural - and keep the original. The reason I wanted to have it rereamed was because I want a very well playable chanter but even rereaming might not guarantee this and you´re right: It would only be cosmetics anyway. The original - or what is left of it - will be kept.

An other question: Except for the bag and the bellows it is complete but as the chanter was hosed the chanter-head is missing. I would like a proper restauration have been done and therefore need some photoes of an original Scott hosed head. Does any of you by any chance know of someone who might have a Scott with an original head?

Best
Hans