Scott full set for sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Scott full set for sale

Post by tompipes »

Have a look at this boys.
Lovely set, mind you I haven't heard it, but It looks good.
Has anyone heard of the makers name before?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 92464&rd=1

Tommy
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Ok I take that back. He is listed on the Sean Reid Society Journal as being active from 1826 to 1845.
Although this could be dates from when he rented/owned a work shop at one particular address.

Very interesting though to see there were so many pipe-makers active in Britian at the early stages of the instruments developement. It really was instrument of high standings in the nobility of pre-famine western Europe.

Royce, you'll have to swap your current head-gear for a top hat or at least a Bowler to keep all this going. :D :D :D :D :D
D'Arcy, shave that beard. :D :D :D
High collars and bow ties all round. :D

Ba-bum-tisch

Tommy
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

WILD SET!
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Holy sh*t!

Whatever genius who worked on these before used copper tubing for the bends of the bass drone. Brilliant. Lots of bad restoration visible - the stock cup for instance. Some of the ferrules look modern as well, and too bad of course that the chanter has been hosed. These should be put back together proper.

I think Scott worked with MacGregor, another London pipemaker, on occasion - some instruments have both names stamped. The extension on the bass regulator appearing on an earlier set with only the four banks of regulator keys is very interesting - perhaps it was added later, of course, but maybe they were putting these on sets from a very early stage. The set is also stamped "Inventor." Of what, one wonders.
Round keypads, ala Wooff. Wooff is ala Scott, I mean. Northumbrianish. Moloney regs had round pads but this wasn't done on chanters, right?
reedman

Post by reedman »

If the regs are OK the sets gots to worth the reserve price, I know you'll probably need a new chanter,bass drone bends, bag,reeds, and a bit work and thats gone to cost around £1200 to be spent on them but still,or
you could do the work your self if your a pipemaker which would cost you only your time,so maybe its not such a bad deal?,a full set for around £3000 all told and with Ivory fitting, got to be worth £4000 when all the works done.so has anyone any Idea if the regs are OK on this, if so maybe they will let us kwow. might try and find out myself. off we go.
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Well all and fine but we still do not know what the Reserve Price is. Who would ever have expected a set like this to become available, though? Exciting times!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Jim McGuire wrote:Who would ever have expected a set like this to become available, though? Exciting times!
Money, and instant access to a universal audience, may reshape the world. Just the thought of it may draw many old items out of peoples closets, or even their collections.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

As this sale is being conducted for Alan Ginsberg, by his brother, I imagine it won't go cheap. The ad says "the chanter has been severely disturbed in the bore and the finger holes." Shouldn't that be fixable, esp the fingerholes? And, isn't there a special compound that can be used to partially fill the bore and redrill? Apparently Alan doesn't want to tackle it. Looks like it might need a new wooden reed cap for the chanter. Interesting alternate thumb note (key above top finger hole on front). Looks like the key is made to play with the left index finger.

I'd like to hear this thing buzz.
Last edited by Lorenzo on Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Lorenzo wrote:The ad says "the chanter has been severely disturbed in the bore and the finger holes." Shouldn't that be fixable, esp the fingerholes? And, isn't there a special compound that can be used to partially fill the bore and redrill?
Hey Lorenzo,

How is he supposed to know the exact dimensions and various knubs and knolls within the bore? Even if there was an exact copy it would be an almost impossible task.

PD.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I mean can't the chanter be restored somehow? Of course it would be impossible to match the original, but it would be wonderful to keep the original chanter (outer) and redo the insides. Surely there's a way.
No E

Post by No E »

Lorenzo,

As we say about people who have "sporterized" what might have been highly-collectible military rifles, the only way to fix that chanter is to set the the time machine to "one day before Bubba."

No E
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Depending on how severe the gouging in the bore, seems wood would be a hundred times easier to fill and redrill than metal. Getting a 17" Bnat chanter to play at Bnat again doesn't seem that difficult of a task, unless someone has tried to make a wide bore D out of a narrow bore Bnat! :boggle:

I doubt that's the case though. Usually, someone is trying to tune certain notes and they gouge the bore out to raise the pitch in a particular area.

BTW, that key I referred to in the above post, as an alternative to the thumb note, looks like it's actually lined up above the thumb note. Must be a high E or Eb (using D chanter language).
reedman

Post by reedman »

That chanter don't look right to me guys :-? , I think its been shortened at the bottom,when I go to enlarge the single picture with two close ups of the chanter it will not enlarge, it throws up the picture of the drones and regs, it says the chanter is 17"inches in length, I think maybe it was 17.75inch originally,but has been altered to play up around C thats why the bore and holes have tampered with, C chanter lenghts are around 16.50inches,its the bottom end? it just not in purportion with the rest of the chanter.but I could be wrong, I'd be
very wary guys.all the best
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hey reedman,

You have to click "next" on the enlarged images on Ebay to see the full range. I've also saved these photos to my website for posteriority so they won't fall into oblivion after the auction.

I just love that old brass! It looks like gold!

Patrick.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Too bad you couldn't match up this set and the Benedict Koehler - Benefit for Jerry O'Sullystone - chanter to go with it. Might be a bit odd though. (S'okay Paul keep drinking! :-) )
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\