Quinn half set on eBay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MarkS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Quinn half set on eBay

Post by MarkS »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 56558&rd=1

Anyone have any thoughts on this half set?

Would this be a reasonable choice for a Northumbrian smallpiper looking to get into uilleann piping?

Cheers,
Mark
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Em.... YES! :lol: By the looks of things this is a top class set.

Patrick.
djm

Post by djm »

Holy S**t! If I didn't already have a set I'd scoop this at any cost and damn the reserve. If you're hedging about getting UPs or not, don't bother. Leave this for someone who really wants a good half-set.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Deffinitely worth the price... but djm is right, this set should go to someone who is serious about playing the Uilleann Pipes...like me...now I just gotta remember where I put the proceeds from that last 'bank job' that I ... uh....whoops... gotta go... :D

Seriously, it would be a shame if they went to someone who stuffed them into a closet after one or two attempts at playing them. These are among the make of pipes that need to played and heard, not hoarded and silent.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Well now... this will be interesting... :-)
janice

Post by janice »

Too weird...I've seen that set twice-first at Augusta when the previous owner brought it to Dave's room so he could take a look at it...it was an "Ohmygod" moment. I also heard Kirk Lynch playing the set as a member of Scartaglen in the '80s....

It IS a small world.....
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: this set should go to someone who is serious about playing the Uilleann Pipes...like me...
Joseph,

Are those chanters in your avatar all yours? If so, there's a little math you should do..........

Alan :wink:
Joseph E. Smith

...I wish... :D There's three lynch, a Pakistani, one Britton, an O'Grady, a Whitmer, a Rogge, a Gallagher and one Roberts...I think. The avatar photo was taken at the Florida Tionol in Gainesville this past February. during a break Kathleen Cavanagh arranged the chanters, took a number of photos, and posted them on her web site: 'Florida Uilleann Piper's Resource Guide'.

The Tionol was a tremendous success, due primarily to John Maze and his tireless efforts to put it together and pull it off....thanks again John!

The Quinn halfset would look nice draped across my lap however....hmmm...aw, I can't. I just ordered a new chanter and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival in roughly two and a half months.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I met Kathleen at the Seattle tionol this year and she did a picture of Seth G. reeds as well that I've seen avatar-ing about. Kinda neat. As to the Quinn half-set, Anyone got any cash to lend!!! Just got a "newer" car, so <big sigh> can't do it.
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

Just for the record, the chanter is one I made in 1984, of the same run as the one BK had. While it is not the same as the ones we're making now, it has been well reeded and a number of good players have approved.

I cannot say anything one way or the other about the reeds or their condition as they exist now: I can only verify that the last time the chanter was in the shop, it was fine, and I have no reason to believe that anything has been done to it in the meantime.

The rest of what is being offered now (i.e., drones, bag, chanter, case) were supplied to the previous owner in 2000, so by rights it is a Koehler and Quinn half set, inasmuch as BK also went over the chanter at about that time. It might also be of interest to note that the starting bid of $2400 is well above the total cost of what I or we supplied to the original owners, but something like $800 cheaper than a half set as supplied today.
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

DMQuinn wrote:The rest of what is being offered now (i.e., drones, bag, chanter, case) were supplied to the previous owner in 2000, so by rights it is a Koehler and Quinn half set, inasmuch as BK also went over the chanter at about that time. It might also be of interest to note that the starting bid of $2400 is well above the total cost of what I or we supplied to the original owners, but something like $800 cheaper than a half set as supplied today.
David,
Thanks for your comments. You addressed a number of the questions on my mind.

Steve
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Someone got the set for just over $3114. Too high for me at this time, unfortunately.

Steve
wolvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

guilty!
Joseph E. Smith

Hip...
Paul Reid