FS practice set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
illuminatus99

FS practice set

Post by illuminatus99 »

it a practice set made in the UK, bag, bellows and chanter, the bag is kind of a plastic material and the chanter is nylon. it's item GR2534 at hobgoblin music if you want to see a picture. barely used asking $250.
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

Umm.. Good luck.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Thies

Post by Thies »

Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

http://www.shannaquay.com/item.jhtml;$s ... ID=1319854

Steve Power's been trying to sell these things for about a year now too. Honestly, there should be a law. :roll: He does offer a practice set by Michael Vignoles for around $1,300 though that would probably work when you got it home.
brianc

Post by brianc »

"Ideal for beginning or second instrument for whistle players , flute players........"

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-?
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Truth in advertising would have it read:
"Ideal for hours of frustration leading to the decision to take up the bodhran."

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

As useful as.........
a hand-brake in a canoe......
a back pocket in a vest.........
a choclate teapot........
a whistle on a plough....
:D

Seriously, them yokes are shockin'. I know they're cheap but for a few quid more you could get a David Daye penny practise set, they work great.
Tommy
maw

practice set

Post by maw »

tried one of these... :boggle: :-? :o I even bought a spare reed from them... :sniffle: It was good during the duck hunting season though :D :P :D
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

the set I've got is a bit different than that one, maybe a new design?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I spotted one at a garage sale and for laughs I bought it...not my idea of a good instrument. However, I do like the bag valve design and am actually using it in my L&M pipe bag right now. It looks to be chiefly constructed of an over-sized 'Little-Mac' rubber valve and a tapered plastic valve stock. Works great, and seems as though it will last longer than a leather valve.

The bellows (which I am not using), is butt ugly, but air tight and seemingly durable. The bag is synthetic and expands easier and further than leather, making it tougher to overblow the reeds....this, however, can be a bad thing to get used to.

I bought this thing on a whim, and it turns out that some of it can be used for spare parts. I wouldn't pay the asking price for it new, but the rummage price of ten US dollars wasn't too bad.
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

I'm not sure if these are the same set people seem to be talking about, mine works fine.
Thies

Post by Thies »

illuminatus99 wrote:I'm not sure if these are the same set people seem to be talking about, mine works fine.
I can second that experience ... at least a bit. Early this year I had been in Edinburgh at Bagpipe Galore and - just for fun - tried one of the sets available there. It was playing fine in the lower octave and maybe with some tweaks on the reed (plastic) the upper octave could be still improved.
Simple set but not automatically ready to be doomed for the rubbish .... :wink:
Harry

Post by Harry »

I'd love to see a reputable maker attempt an impartial evaluation of such a beast.

Regards,

Harry.
No E

Post by No E »

There was a pretty substantial review in "The Pipers' Review" a couple of issues back. Maybe Wally can post it to the IPC website?

No E
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

Thies wrote:
illuminatus99 wrote:I'm not sure if these are the same set people seem to be talking about, mine works fine.
I can second that experience ... at least a bit. Early this year I had been in Edinburgh at Bagpipe Galore and - just for fun - tried one of the sets available there. It was playing fine in the lower octave and maybe with some tweaks on the reed (plastic) the upper octave could be still improved.
Simple set but not automatically ready to be doomed for the rubbish .... :wink:
the one I've got is like that, it plays well in the lower octave but it takes some work to play the upper octave, either that or there's something I'm not doing right with the reed.