Book source?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Book source?

Post by sturob »

Hi,

I have been thinking that I'd like to get my own copies of a couple of books: Pat Sky's Manual for the Irish Uilleann Pipes and Wilbert Garvin's Irish Bagpipes, their Construction and Maintenance.

I've found them on NPU's site, of course, but the emails I've sent them over the past while have gone unanswered.

Are there North American sources for these books? Or, do you think if I do an online order with NPU that I'll see them anytime in the near future?

Thanks. No offense intended to NPU, I do know they've had staffing and facility problems of late.

Stuart
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Stu, the Garvin book is more of interest for historical reasons than as a valid set of plans. I don't know of anyone stocking it besides NPU. All of Patrck Sky's publications are available directly from Patrick himself. Unfortunately, he keeps disappearing from the net. Perhaps Pat D'Arcy's Uilleann Obsession site might have an up-to-date link or mail address.

djm
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Yeah, history's good. I looked around uilleannobsession.com; I think that's the email address I've used for Pat Sky (to no avail, alas).

Golly.

Stuart

Edited to say that I actually don't remember where I got the email address I had for Pat Sky.
Last edited by sturob on Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I am sure you can get Pat Pky's book. E-mail him and ask about it.

plsky@intrex.net
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I've a copy of Ceol magazine from 1980 or so with a scathing review of the Sky book by Sean Donnelly, too. A real over-coals-raking!
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Stuart,
I recently had an order from NPU, the mail order service was much better than it had been mid-summer. I wouldn't rely on contacting them by e-mail though. If at all possible I think it's better to phone them.

Cheers, Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.