Bruce Childress Full B Set For Sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bruce Childress Full B Set For Sale

Post by eskin »

As I've been playing more and more in C on a Koehler/Quinn chanter and some temporary C drones, I've decided to sell my beautiful as-new condition Bruce Childress full B set in favor of aquiring a full set in C.

It's one of his top-end sets made from African Blackwood, and nickel-chrome + antler mounts, with 4-key chanter w/wooden top, also fully mounted and plated, with stop key. Extremely fancy "maximum mount" chrome plated drones and stock, and german silver regulator and chanter keys. Composite drone reeds. Made in 2001-2002, essentially new condition and sounds wonderful.

I bought this set in May, and immediately had Bruce build me a new chanter reed (plus a spare), as well as all new cane regulator reeds as the previous owner lived in a very different climate (Albuquerque vs. San Diego). The chanter and drones are going extremely well, the regulators, while working well enough, could use some expert tweaking and tuning as I've only started with them.

Includes an unbelievably rugged long anvil-style flight case that is able to hold the set with the only the bass drone U removed, so no reed exposure required to store/carry the set.

Here's a photo that shows the set detail pretty well:
http://members.cox.net/eskin/michael_bset_large.jpg

Other photos of similar sets are available on Bruce's website:
http://bcpipes.com

Price: $5250.00 plus insured express shipping.

Full disclosure:

I paid $5250.00 for the set from Andrew Post back in May, not including flying out to Albequerque from San Diego to check them out in person before purchasing them. The new set of chanter and regulator reeds from Bruce cost $300.00 and were done by Bruce on the actual chanter and regulators from the set, which I shipped to him for reed fitting. The set is in perfect condition with no leaks. The set is as delivered by Bruce with no modifications other than shortening the blowpipe to accomodate my waist size. The stop key spring on the chanter top is a bit weak and was starting to leak a bit, so I've temporarily reinforced it with a rubber hair band, Bruce recommended sending the chanter top back to him for adjustment, but is currently functional and does not leak, and he has already supplied me with a spare chanter top to use while he make the adjustment. I think a lot more tweaking could be done to the regulators to get up to their maximum potential.

If interested, or have more questions about the set, please contact me via PM or email:

michael.eskin@conexant.com

Alternatively, I'd would consider some kind of trade involving the whole set and some cash for a high-end 3/4 or full C-set (Woofe, Koehler/Quinn, etc). Might as well put that out there... :-)

Cheers and thanks,

Michael
Last edited by eskin on Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eskin

Post by eskin »

eskin

Post by eskin »

Maybe I should offer a reward for locating a C set for sale... :-)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Man, I'd take you up on it, but I already have a Ginsberg C set to spruce up and wrestle with; I wish I had the spare scratch (no, mine's not for sale)! Too many flute purchases going on...I know that's no help to you. It ain't like I wasn't salivating over it, believe me.

Is the bass drone curved at bottom or that 90-degree setup we see at times? I couldn't quite tell.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Its a typical U style drone... I'm curious about what you mean by the 90-degree setup, not sure what that would be...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I've seen some bass drones set up at that point as two straight pieces joined by a straight bit of tube welded crosswise to complete the connection, sort of like an "H". I don't know what that method is called.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, I've seen a few sets like that. This one is a full U style, in gleaming nickle chrome...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I know, I know... it's a beauty. :cry:
eskin

Post by eskin »

Bump
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I thought the killer Bees were swarming all over So. Cal...surely there's a piper down there somewhere craving a set like this. How to find 'em though...
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Lorenzo wrote:....surely there's a piper down there somewhere craving a set like this....
It's a beautiful set, I'm suprised it hasn't been snatched up.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I hear from the grapevine that there is some interest brewing. Probably someone is going to have a nice B set for Christmas, but its still available for immediate delivery as nobody has locked in an offer.

Someone will grab it, I expect to have it sold in a week or two... beats having to wait until 2005 or later for a new one...
eskin

Post by eskin »

I posted some quick recordings I made this morning of the B set in case anyone is interested:

http://www.uptospeed.net/mp3/eskin/chil ... et_one.mp3

http://www.uptospeed.net/mp3/eskin/chil ... et_two.mp3

Cheers,

Michael
eskin

Post by eskin »

Just bumping this up to keep it in the conversation...
sturob

Post by sturob »

It's more a monologue, Michael. :)

What kind of MD recorder is that under your chair?

Stuart