Second octave?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Eivind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Second octave?

Post by Eivind »

HI all,

being a humble non-Uilleann piper I have a few questions:

Would anybody bother to explain short and in plain terms how you are able to:

1) jump into the second octave and stay there
2) get back down in the 1st octave
3) play alternating notes in the 1st and 2nd octaves :boggle:

I have heard it is done somehow by stopping the chanter against your knee, but would like to know a little more about it.
I expect the real question will eventually be: "how on earth is this practically feasible when playing fast?"

Thanks,

e.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Eivind,
In very, very basic terms, on the whistle you blow harder for the 2nd Octave, on the pipes you squeeze the bag harder. There is more to it than that but someone else with more experience can fill you in.
I expect the real question will eventually be: "how on earth is this practically feasible when playing fast?"
Practice, swear, blame the reed, practice, swear some more, wonder why you started, practice, swear again, blame the chanter, blame the weather (too humid), practice, blame the weather again (not humid enough), practice, practice, practice and eventually realise that all the above are excuses and that it's possible with practice. :)

Cheers, Mac (still needing to practice but it's too humid today. :wink: )
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Really?!? My God...
Still, it somehow sounds more possible (or less impossible) than the wild scheme I described, right?

You more experienced guys, please fill in. Or give pointers to a resource somewhere perhaps?

Thanks, Mac :D

e.
djm

Post by djm »

Not any more experienced, but Mac has given you the gist of it. The only thing I would add is a little more detail on "closing the chanter".

The chanter is played 98% of the time closed on the knee anyways, so there is no extra movement to accomplish this part, i.e. its not as big a deal as it may sound.

The other part of the meaning of "closing the chanter" is that all the tone holes must be covered for a brief instant while the pressure is slightly increased or decreased, depending on whether you are going up to second octave, or down to first octave.

Hope that helps,

djm
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

You can usually drop out of the second octave by cutting with back D (if you haven't over-inflated your bag).
Ted

Post by Ted »

My chanter (Rowsome approximation in D) will go into the second octave with the chanter OFF the leg, and even move between octaves without closing it, although it is more accurate with the chanter on the leg.

Ted
djm

Post by djm »

Ted, anyone should be able to do it off the leg, but the context of the question is to be able to do it at speed. I would like to see anyone jump octaves cleanly, back an forth as the original question put it, and at speed, and totally off the leg, e.g. the B part of Tommy Peoples'. I doubt it would be a pretty sight/sound. :wink:

djm
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

You have to close the chanter and squeeze harder to go direct into the 2nd octave. This can be a bit tricky in tunes that go from Back D to high g, like the reel the Milliner's Daughter. If the tune goes up the scale from back D to high e etc. you're in better luck. Once you're up there, keep pushing or down it goes. The reed shouldn't be so hard that this is uncomfortable. To get the 2nd octave notes above g you have to "vent" the notes - stop the chanter, play a g or f# and instantly (almost) leap up to your high a, high b, etc. Takes practice, you know...
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

djm wrote:anyone should be able to do it off the leg
Uilleann Piper's Do It On OR Off the Leg!

:lol: [/b]
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Ted wrote:My chanter (Rowsome approximation in D) will go into the second octave with the chanter OFF the leg, and even move between octaves without closing it, although it is more accurate with the chanter on the leg.
So does mine! Although the high Eb becomes an E. Mine will even go into the 3rd octave w/o being on the knee (I never play it that way though, but nice to know if I need it) :D
tok

Post by tok »

Be sure to check everything for leaks , including the chanter top , and all of the keys , If you have them . I was taught to slide up into the 2nd octave by using the fingers below the note you want in the upper octave . check to see that the chanter bore is clean , and with no dust inside . The reed may be leaking , and that will make it difficult to get the higher notes . Moving the bridle up , on the reed , and then closing it down again will help with the second octave .
To " slide " into the 2nd octave , use the fingers of your hand , just below the note you want to go into and half hole the note , or tone hole just below the note you want . I learned that from Liam O' Flynn , . Also , he mentioned something about playing slow airs ,, use vabrato at the start of a phrase ,, then stop the orniment , and just close the phrase on the note at the end . It is a nice trick , and gives feeling to an air ,, but keeps it from being too mushy , and sentimental . It helps to do orniments that way , as it will show in the faster tunes ,, and keeps a piper from getting lost in the music , as there are so many tunes . It is nice to pick and choose the tunes you want to learn and play well . This advice is not meant for tune hounds ,, lol .
tok . :) . spelling :) .
djm

Post by djm »

Uilleann Piper's Do It On OR Off the Leg!
Patrick, excellent! When do the bumper stickers come out? :lol:

djm
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Or rather, you should call them "humper stickers".

e. :D