Golden Ring triplet Cnatural or sharp

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mypipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Golden Ring triplet Cnatural or sharp

Post by Mypipes »

The Golden Ring has in the first part a B Cnat d triplet which I find real difficult I substituted B Csharp d and its so fast I cant tell the difference...Is this ok with the rest of the piping world?
:-? Also wondered if Pipers change this triplet as a matter of convenience or am I just being lazy? :oops:
mconners

Re: Golden Ring triplet Cnatural or sharp

Post by mconners »

Mypipes wrote:The Golden Ring has in the first part a B Cnat d triplet which I find real difficult I substituted B Csharp d and its so fast I cant tell the difference...Is this ok with the rest of the piping world?
:-? Also wondered if Pipers change this triplet as a matter of convenience or am I just being lazy? :oops:
AFAIK, the triplet is written as you suggest, but is played as you playing, with the C# instead of the Cnat. :D

If you're nimble enough to do the Cnat, go for it.

All the best.
djm

Post by djm »

I don't know anyone who can play a dotted triplet to speed and actually use a Cnat. As far as I know, everyone uses C# as you have found yourself.

djm
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Correct, the staccato C is in fact fingered like C# but if played properly it goes by too fast to be noticeably out of tune with anything. Ditto the ACA, BCB, BCA, etc. The desired effect is percussive.

Don't get hung up on what you see on the printed page, in fact, try not to rely on it all, it's only an approximation at best and a barrier between you and other musicians at worst.
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

Thanks, You guys my fingers thank you as well....one less thing to get hung up on....yahooo!!! :lol:
pipemaniac

Post by pipemaniac »

thanks a lot too.. if i'd that know before!!!!