Mainstock plug

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Mainstock plug

Post by PJ »

Does anyone make plugs for mainstocks (so that I could remove the mainstock and use the bag/bellows as a practice set) ?
PJ
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Mainstock plug

Post by rorybbellows »

Is that the main stock butt ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
shakyhands

Post by shakyhands »

Tim Benson is selling a practice set with one such plug in the bag in the FB uilleann pipe sale/swap group.
reedmasters

Post by reedmasters »

I have a large white rubber cork that I stick in the cup allowing stock removal. Would that sort of thing work? Pretty sure I got it off eBay.
leemark
Tell us something.: I have recently started on the uilleann pipes, and have found this forum to be chock full of good info. I have a set of Carbony pipes.

Post by leemark »

I made a plug by making a CAD drawing and printing it on a 3d printer. I used o rings on this plug to make a good seal, and it works quite well.

Now, I know that most folks do not use CAD software or own a 3d printer, but you may well know someone who does. Perhaps your local school has a robotics club, and they usually have printers. A student might well be happy to earn a few bucks printing such an item for you.

If you have any interest at all in pursuing such a solution, let me know and Iwould be happy to talk more about it, including sending you my CAD and .stl files to look at. It is always possible that our stocks are close enough to the same diameter that my design would work fine for you.
Ian Lawther
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ian Lawther »

Years ago i needed something like this when wanting to test for leaks in my bag I found large corks available for folks like potters making storage jars and found one that worked well. I don't recall where I got it from but just found this seller on Etsy who supplies a variety of corks.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1296765316 ... ch_click=1