Import Duties

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Import Duties

Post by daveboling »

I realize this question has been discussed previously, with regards to importing pipes into the U.S., but with little information regarding the duty fees when transferring a set from the U.S. into the U.K. Are there import duty fees when transferring a used set of pipes from the U.S. to the U.K.? If so, what is that duty rate? If anyone would share a document number, or website address which would clarify this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Pogles
Tell us something.: I enjoy reading the Uilleann Pipes forum. I have found it an invaluable repository of knowledge as I pursue my hobby of learning to play the pipes.

Re: Import Duties

Post by Pogles »

I don't know whether this will be of any help to you, but there's a useful duty and taxes calculator at https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This should get you started, plenty more similar pages on gov.uk

Goods sent from abroad
My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Customs duties should be 0%. However, watch out for Value Added Tax (VAT - essentially sales tax) which is 20%.

Budget a broker fee of between $60 and $100 which your courrier will charge for preparing and submitting the customs documents.

It seems that the Harmonized System (HS) Code for bagpipes is 9205909000.
PJ
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Does it work out to be cheaper to hand carry the instrument to the destination — plus getting a short vacation in the mix?

Just curious.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Steve Bliven wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:25 am Does it work out to be cheaper to hand carry the instrument to the destination ...
Not if you get stopped by a customs officer in the airport :wink:
PJ
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

Over a certain amount VAT will need to be paid which is 20%, the pipes will definitely be over the limit.
Some courier firms will charge /add a handling charge.

I did have a document from UPS with a break down of charges from last year when I imported a set but the document doesn't open correctly :(

If the pipes were made in the UK there is the possibility of claiming they are being returned to the country of origin which I tried once with a chanter but the hassle and problems with the forms made me quit after a few months.
pmcallis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pmcallis »

If possible, ship the pipes through the USPS/Royal Mail. Courier companies like UPS, Purolator, DHL, etc. charge a huge amount of money to do the customs paperwork.