Piping post lumbar fusion surgeries

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Piping Bulldog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Piping post lumbar fusion surgeries

Post by Piping Bulldog »

Ive had 2 lumbar surgeries within the past 1 1/2 years, leaving me fused in most of my lumber spine. Ive also had 2 cervical surgeries as well. I played the uilleann pipes prior to all this, and now am attempting to get back into it. But, when I play it causes a good amount of discomfort on my right side and leg. Im going to attempt different leg positions, etc. to see if that helps. Has anyone encountered something like this situation? It definitely is the seated position, as playing the highland pipes barely bothers me. Any fellow back sufferers out there minimize the problem? I really don't want to give up the uilleanns.
joconnor58
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Not a new musician, but fairly new to the Uilleann Pipes. I am primarily a bass player, studied jazz bass in university, but also play, piano, saxophone, clarinet and drums. Looking forward to a long and happy experience with the pipes!

Re: Piping post lumbar fusion surgeries

Post by joconnor58 »

I have not had this experience directly, although I have had a cervical fusion. But a friend of mine who is a full time rock/jazz drummer has had two lumber fusions. He spent a lot of time shopping drum stools - trying everything he could borrow, rent, purchase and return, etc until he found the best one for him. I sit on a drum stool when I play pipes, as I find it the best for "fitting" with the pipes and they are easily portable. And there are a lot out there with backrests/lumbar support. I don't know if that appeals to you, or if it sounds like a feasible approach to you. Just thought I'd offer that up.
Learning to breathe with my elbows.....
Johnered66
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Piping post lumbar fusion surgeries

Post by Johnered66 »

Google old time Uilleann pipers pics. There’s a few fellas that have rigged up a wooden step to play standing with a knee elevated. Might be just the thing and it’ll bring back the good old travelers style! Best wishes. Feel better mate. Cheers
Neither weddin' nor wake would be worth a shake
If Denny was first not invited.
For at squeezin' the bag, or emptyin' the keg,
He astonished as well as delighted!