Sending chanter from USA to Europe - 2 questions

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Oldpiping
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Sending chanter from USA to Europe - 2 questions

Post by Oldpiping »

Anyone having several experiences about sending chanters from the USA to Europe? I need to figure out what to choose: UPS, USPS, DHL, or something else?
The friendly price is, of course, very welcome, but most importantly, the package should be fully insured for about $2500, with tracking available all the way to Europe.
Probably, fast shipment is of paramount importance to minimize the humidity and temperature impact.

2nd question: I am a bit concerned since it will go to HOLD on the plane, so I am not sure if this can harm the chanter or reed.
Anyone with some different experiences to know what worked the best? Thanks
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Sending chanter from USA to Europe - 2 questions

Post by PJ »

In my experience, the maximum insurance that the courrier would offer was $1000. But it's been a few years so that might have changed.

The biggest risk is that the reed gets cold too quickly, and collapses. I've never had luck receiving chanters with reeds (the main reason I learned to make my own). Also, it's not just the hold of the plane, but also cold warehouses and delivery vans. My recommendation would be to remove the reed from the chanter and wrap it up well. It won't stay warm, but the transition from warm to cold will be slow. Also, tell the person receiving the chanter to let the package warm up slowly, and give the reed a day or two to adjust to the air (temp and humidity) before trying to play it.
PJ
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!
If you want the package to be fully insured for about $2500, that is also the amount the buyer will have to pay custom duties and VAT for.
Another option (if you have the time and can find a cheap flight) would be to deliver it yourself and use the shipping cost and EU duties as a holiday discount :thumbsup:
/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Wonder if anyone has a contact for Brian Howard? He only makes reeds now, but he used to be a pipe maker. Anyway, he lives in Gibraltar and I assume most of his reeds travel by air. He might have some useful advice.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Airtight boxes with or without something humidifying go a long way.
My brain hurts

Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

I've used DHL several times with great success. A few years ago, PJ sold me a Hunter Bb chanter and it arrived (from Canada to California) with the reed playing beautifully. I just shipped a Rogge set from California to Wyoming. The temp and humidity in Wyoming are drastically different from here this time of year and the reeds did not fare so well. Here it was 80 degrees F. and there it was 6 degrees F. Difficulty ensued.
Last edited by Jeff Cullen on Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I shipping some piping stuff to Europe a handful of years ago, including a chanter, and I also encountered taxes against the insured amount. That aspect made it especially difficult, either someone had to cover the taxes or I had to risk shipping without insurance. I don't know how the reeds survived going that direction, but so far, the few chanters I've had shipped from Europe didn't arrive with a well working reed. Lots of potential reasons but just another data point. Regarding method, I think I just used USPS, since that was the cheapest option at the time.
Life is good.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Jeff Cullen wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:59 pm A few years ago, PJ sold me a Hunter Bb chanter ...
I still regret parting with that chanter, but I'm happy it found a good home. :)
PJ
Oldpiping
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Oldpiping »

I am a bit late with my reply, but thank you for all the comments! It helps a lot.

First, I wish a happy new year to everyone.
MarcusR wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:09 am Another option (if you have the time and can find a cheap flight) would be to deliver it yourself and use the shipping cost and EU duties as a holiday discount :thumbsup:
I guess I was unclear. I am from Europe, and the chanter is coming from the USA maker who usually only makes pipes for US customers. I did think about an option to go and collect it personally, but for 1000 dollars of air ticket price, I am not sure how I would use the shipping cost and EU duties to my benefit. Also when returning home, I would also have to smuggle it; otherwise, I would pay the plane ticket, EU duties, and an extra penalty fee for smuggling. Any idea how to do it successfully? :-? :lol:
Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:16 am Airtight boxes with or without something humidifying go a long way.
Any suggestions, Peter, for my maker—what works and what doesn't? BTW, the reed is spruce, so mybe some more chance of survival, but who knows?

My conclusions until now: short 2-3 days express shipping is a must in my opinion and sending in a hard case would also be good, I guess.
Any ideas on what material is best to use to wrap the chanter inside the case or package for slowing the transition from warm to cold without having any condensation problems? Thanks
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Oldpiping wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:39 am Any ideas on what material is best to use to wrap the chanter inside the case or package for slowing the transition from warm to cold without having any condensation problems? Thanks
Old-fashioned polystyrene might be the cheapest, lightest, and most effective insulation? A 5cm+ layer of it all around the box would help stabilise the temperature as well as protect it from jolts.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Oldpiping wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:39 amAny ideas on what material is best to use to wrap the chanter inside the case or package for slowing the transition from warm to cold without having any condensation problems?
My suggestion would be to remove the reed, wrap it in tissue/kitchen towel, place it in a small box, seal the box (mark it "fragile"), then wrap the box in bubble wrap. For the chanter, I'd put it in a section of foam pipe insulation (available at any hardware), and I'd seal it in plastic. I'd put the wrapped chanter and reed into a good-sized box (marked fragile), and fill it with packing pellets. I can't think anything else to do to ease the transition.
PJ