Beo

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Beo

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A little plug here for a CD that was launched earlier today at Feakle by Pádraic Keane, Páraic MacDonnachada & Macdara Ó'Faoláin.
Pipes in B & C, banjo, bouzouki, recorded live (as per the title). Brilliant. Music that's alive and going somewhere, lifts your mood.

A few, heavily backlit, snaps from the launch earlier today:

With percussionist Jimmy Higgins

My brain hurts

elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Re: Beo

Post by elbowmusic »

Oh, cool. I hope it ends up on Bandcamp.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

https://pipesbanjobouzouki.bandcamp.com/album/beo

Thanks for the recommendation. Quick purchase after realizing who's involved. Nice pictures too.

I didn't initially see it searching "Beo" on bandcamp either, so I went ahead & ordered it from Custys, but am now seeing it pop up recommended in my feed. I would have liked to had ordered direct & have a digital version in the BC app but I picked up a couple other things from Custys Ive wanted as well.
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

Thanks for posting the link. I bought it. Great recording, really love the energy. My foot couldn't stop tapping. Awesome stuff!
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Peter for the heads up.

I was a bit dubious about how pipes pitched in B and C would combine well with a tuned down banjo (or any banjo for that matter). However its mighty music alright.

They actually play well together as a duet (a testament to the skill of both musicians).

Definitely to be recommended.

John
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I was a bit dubious about how pipes pitched in B and C would combine well with a tuned down banjo (or any banjo for that matter). However its mighty music alright.
I suppose that was on a lot of people's mind but Páraic MacD.'s music goes back a long time, he fitted very well with Conor Tully and Paddy Carty all that time ago. His solo recording is very nice and I have heard him play often with people like Cormac Begley, Eileen O'Brien and others. And his brother Macdara is a fine piper, they have a fine duet going, both in C and concert pitch. He's a sensitive duet player.
I was going to go to the recording session in Ennis for the CD during the Tradfest last November. But it was at four on the Saturday afternoon, we were in town to do some shopping and ended up having to wait a good while until four. It was a cold, wet day and we opted to go home to light the fire and get the house warm instead. That's the way, sometimes.

Whatever else, their music is very much alive and there's great interplay and mutual understanding.
My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

I like the way that P McD holds the straight line and PK weaves himself in and out of it...
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Beo CD has arrived in central France, many thanks Peter for posting it out!!

I always get a kick out of recordings made on sets ' knocked out in my back shed' and this one appears , at first ,to follow a similar ethos BUT, there is obviously a massive amount of operator input. Lots of fine detail to be enjoyed, congratulations to all involved !!
Last edited by geoff wooff on Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Beo CD has arrived in central France, many thanks Peter for posting it out!!

Glad to hear it arrived in good order. I posted it from Feakle PO on the Monday (last Monday week). I was fully energised after the launch and talking to lots of people after. So I drove up to Feakle on the two days following the launch for more music and to keep the buzz going . The atmosphere was good and some very nice music going in various not too overcrowded corners. Good Times. Even managed a few decent snaps.

My brain hurts