Fun with chatGPT

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Fun with chatGPT

Post by MarcusR »

Being musically illiterate and even having problems to even combine existing tunes to sets it now seems that I'm able to compose new tunes in various styles with a bit of AI support. :thumbsup:

(Me) -What distinguishes Seamus Ennis style of playing compared to other more recent Uilleann pipers?

(AI) -Séamus Ennis, a highly influential figure in traditional Irish music and uilleann piping, had a distinctive style of playing that set him apart from other pipers, both past and present. Here are some key characteristics that distinguish Séamus Ennis’ style:

Ornamentation: Séamus Ennis was known for his extensive and intricate ornamentation. He employed a wide range of rolls, cuts, crans, slides, and other embellishments to add color and expressiveness to his playing. His ornamentation was highly refined and executed with precision, contributing to the distinctiveness of his style.

Phrasing and Dynamics: Séamus Ennis had a remarkable sense of phrasing and dynamics. He had a knack for shaping the melodies, emphasizing certain notes, and using subtle variations in volume and articulation to bring out the character of the tunes. His playing had a natural ebb and flow, creating a sense of storytelling within the music.

Tone and Control: Ennis had a beautiful and expressive tone on the uilleann pipes. He achieved a rich, warm, and resonant sound, which he controlled with great finesse. His ability to produce subtle variations in tone and dynamics added depth and nuance to his playing.

Repertoire and Musical Knowledge: Séamus Ennis had an extensive repertoire of traditional tunes and songs, including rare and lesser-known pieces. He was deeply immersed in the tradition and had a wealth of knowledge about the history, origins, and variations of the music. His vast repertoire and understanding of the tradition allowed him to infuse his playing with a deep sense of authenticity and authority.

Influence on Future Generations: Séamus Ennis’ style and approach to uilleann piping have had a lasting impact on subsequent generations of pipers. Many players have sought to emulate his ornamentation, phrasing, and tone, striving to capture the essence of his playing. His recordings and performances continue to inspire and shape the uilleann piping tradition today.

While other contemporary pipers have their own unique styles and contributions, Séamus Ennis’ playing stands out as a benchmark for technical skill, musicality, and artistry. His style reflects a deep understanding and love for the tradition, and his contributions have left an indelible mark on the world of uilleann piping.

(Me) - Can you compose a short hoppy slip jig in the style of Seamus Ennis and write the abc notation?

(AI) - Certainly!
Here’s a hoppy slip jig composed in the style of Séamus Ennis:
https://thesession.org/tunes/23190
Feel free to incorporate Séamus Ennis’ characteristic ornamentation and phrasing into the tune as you play it. Remember, his style often featured intricate rolls, cuts, and variations, so feel free to add those embellishments to enhance the tune’s authenticity.

All thats left is to practice to incorporate some of Séamus Ennis style when playing this little tune. :D
/MarcusR
Last edited by MarcusR on Sun May 28, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Fun with chatGPT

Post by rorybbellows »

Holy saint Veronica of the rabid lepers, it's just like Seamus

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

Rory, any tune can be played just like Seamus, if you practice enough :)
/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
ennischanter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Saved
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

The tune was quickly delated from the Session.org (not yet a session hit :wink: ) but here is the score if anyone was interested:
X:1
T:Seamus Ennis' Hoppy Slip Jig
C:Composed by OpenAI
R:slip jig
M:9/8
L:1/8
K:G
|:G2B d2G B2G|A2c e2A c2A|G2B d2G B2G|1 A2G FGA G3:|2 A2G FGA G2B||
|:d2e f2d c2A|G2A B2G A2F|G2B d2G B2G|1 A2G FGA G2B:|2 A2G FGA G3||

/M
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

My daughter and I recently had a fun conversation with an AI app she had downloaded. A bit scary how life like it was. I hope Arnie's going to be there to save us when AI realizes it doesn't need the human race anymore.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
m4malious
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by m4malious »

...so- how long before the departed get the "Morgan Freeman treatment" and we start seeing 'new' videos surfacing of never-happened performances?

M