Vanishing Bass Regulators

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
FlaminGalah
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Based in Australia.

Playing union pipes. I'm not very good at this yet.

Ask me about birds and behaviour.

Vanishing Bass Regulators

Post by FlaminGalah »

I have recently taken notice of a seemingly increasing number of 3/4 sets among excellent players and makers. I'm sure this is not entirely new, but something I only just clocked. But it seems like there are a lot more top pipers and makers sticking with two regulators lately. Martin Preshaw seems to be focussing on making mostly 3/4 sets, Padraig McGovern is playing a 3/4 flat set, I saw a video of Jarlath Henderson performing on a 3/4 set just today. And many other recent videos of less well known, but talented pipers on 3/4 sets. Seems like a bit of a trend.

Now, the obvious point is that bass regulators are the most expensive single part of the instrument and you can get a lot done with 2 regs. But does it go beyond simple savings? Fewer pipers vamping the regs these days so in less need of the third one? Is it driven by makers preferring not to make bass regs when they can avoid it (a sentiment I have definitely heard from makers before).

Have we seen this before in the evolution of the current three-reg full set? You can still get all the bells and whistles if you want them of course, but a lot of the impressive but troublesome: contrabass regs, bass reg extensions, fourth and fifth regs, double chanters - seems to be consigned to the past. Is this another streamlining, removing the most troublesome part of our troublesome instrument?
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Vanishing Bass Regulators

Post by ChristianRo »

Valid points. Plus, the bass reg bar adds considerably to the weight of the set and is sometimes a bit awkward to handle.
As for your assumption that players prefer simpler sets today: I think the opposite is true, at least in non-traditionalist circles. Andreas Rogge told me he hardly gets orders for 3-drone, 3-reg configurations anymore. "Kannmacher switch" D/E-drones, added G/A drones, E regs, bass drone D/G switch are quite popular choices nowadays, at least in my neck of the woods. Not for me, though.
Christian
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've always played the Bass and Baritone regs as a pair and hardly touched the Tenor reg.

To the point where I replaced the Tenor reg with an "E" reg. Just the one note!

But it gives a full low octave G A B C D E F# G A for melody playing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Travel could be a consideration. It's easier to pack a 3/4 set into a carry-on "friendly" case.
PJ
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I currently play a 3/4 Kirk Lynch set with a Benedict Koehler chanter. The drones and regs just work and don't require a lot of fussing.

As Kirk is no longer making pipes and even when he was, from what I've been told, didn't make many bass regulators, I've thought about commissioning another builder to have a folded bass regulator added to my set.

The times I've play other players full sets with folded bass regulators and the regulators across the lap as one would do with a 3/4 set, it felt very natural to me.
FlaminGalah

Post by FlaminGalah »

It is interesting to see two different comments on playing without the traditional straight bass regulator bar as being more comfortable or less cumbersome. I find it quite the opposite - I have always found having the straight bass bar int he crook of my elbow gives me much more leverage and control over the instrument. Even when playing a half-set, I find that the drones tend to slide around, bump the chanter, interfere with popping etc. I would (almost) advocate a 'dummy' bar even on half sets to keep things more firmly in place (though I haven't descended to such madness... yet...)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

For sure a set with no Bass Reg and refolded Tayloresque drones would be ideal for crowded sessions.

Have any uilleann makers offered shuttle drones? They're the most compact of all, a shuttle only around 8 inches long could do all three drones.

That way an uilleann halfset wouldn't take up more session room than a practice set.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Have any uilleann makers offered shuttle drones?
A few have, at one time or another, but they have never taken off, or so it would appear.
My brain hurts

dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

A couple of the local pipers are often seen out with 3/4 sets. I still sport the bass reg, though the reed needs work, so the reg sits empty.
pancelticpiper wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:23 am Have any uilleann makers offered shuttle drones? They're the most compact of all, a shuttle only around 8 inches long could do all three drones.
Christopher Bayley makes MacGregor barrel sets, though those are a bit longer than 8 inches.
Life is good.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The early sets of union pipes had one or two regulators. Did I hear that bass regulators weren't common until the early 19th century? That would mean that for the first 100 years, 3/4 sets would have been the norm.
PJ
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

It was only after the church got involved (as they did with everything in those days) that the third reg was added. It was deemed more appropriate that three regs should come out of the one stock as in the holy Trinity. Thirteen keys to symbolize Jesus and twelve apostles was also part of the thinking.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
FlaminGalah

Post by FlaminGalah »

Ah! So the missing E is Judas!
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

I have no idea if 3/4's are trending right now but not so much amongst my customers. I have made 3 in the last 11 years and I am not sure if I have another on the waiting list. All the rest have been standard three regulator sets... though those bass regulators are easily ( some would say too easily) removed, mainly for fitting into a shorter case, the piper can block up the bass air feed and play in 3/4 mode.
FlaminGalah

Post by FlaminGalah »

Why “too easily”, Geoff? Do I conjure visions of Wooff basses rocketing out of position in a crowded session, skewering bodhrans and cleaving banjo heads? (A flat session of course).
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have made 3 in the last 11 years
As the owner of one of these, the choice was a deliberate one, based on the purpose of the set : taking it out to play with others locally. A very compact instrument to play in tight corners. And my 'little D set is just that'. I wouldn't dream of thinking about taking the bass off my other set if anything I am using the bass reg more these days.
My brain hurts