Leaky Drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Flake Brown
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am new to uillean piping but am keen to learn more. I am a big fan of the playing of Johnny Doran!

Leaky Drones

Post by Flake Brown »

Hi folks! Can anyone advise me on how i might stop air leaking from my drones? My bag seems to lose air much faster when I turn on the drones....I think ive sealed up the joints as much as i can with waxed hemp.....
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Re: Leaky Drones

Post by elbowmusic »

Maybe inefficient drone reeds. Possibly possible to adjust them. What kind of reeds are they (and who made them)?
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
The Danish Piper
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

Post by The Danish Piper »

Maby the drones are taking to much air.
I would try to adjust the bridle and make the blade take less air.
It can be a fine balance, since you dont want the blade to shut off completely
To take less air, the bridle usually have to be taken towards the tip of the blade.
Very small adjustments can have a huge impact.
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
Flake Brown
Tell us something.: I am new to uillean piping but am keen to learn more. I am a big fan of the playing of Johnny Doran!

Post by Flake Brown »

Hi, they are ezeedrone synthetic reeds....
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

I have the same. It will take some time and effort to get the bridles adjusted to your liking - and they can be quite sensitive to even a minor adjustment. But after that they are wonderfully steady. Best of luck.
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

Ezee drone, at least in the past, are not as good at quality control as one might prefer. Double check that the adjusting screws are air tight. I once helped someone with a set of MacCallum/Morrsion pipes where the bass drone just wouldn't behave. Like, wouldn't do anything but squeal. After trying to adjust the reed for a while I realized that the inner threads for the adjusting screw were so screwed up (nice pun) that air could just shoot through the thing. It was very frustrating for the owner, as he had spent hours trying to figure out what was going on. If anyone had once tried those drones in the workshop they would have realized that reed was a non-starter....
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com