Rowsome at work 1963

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
m4malious
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rowsome at work 1963

Post by m4malious »

Fuller version of the documentary of Rowsome in 1963 - https://www.rte.ie/archives/2023/0213/1 ... ipe-maker/

Some interesting observations regarding his approach to things, in this - unless (like the bow tie and deliberately placed tusk) the session was performative.

M
paddler

Re: Rowsome at work 1963

Post by paddler »

Fascinating! Thanks for posting that.

The order in which he completes some tasks does seem quite contrary to common practice nowadays. For example, I was surprised to see the tone holes already drilled in the rough, square shaped billet, prior to any kind of external turning! I assume the bore must have been created (at least drilled, if not reamed) prior to the drilling of the tone holes, otherwise how would he have ensured that the tone holes intersect the bore? I also noticed how far off-center the bore was at one end of the billet, but I suppose this isn't that surprising prior to the use of gun drills. The speed with which he created that chanter was also quite stunning, but that also lends weight to the theory that maybe the session filmed here was performative rather than representative of his standard work practices.
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Re: Rowsome at work 1963

Post by elbowmusic »

There are pipemakers working today who drill the holes first. Good point regarding getting the holes lined up with the bore....

I found the way he was working the slip with a knife very familiar as would anyone who's watched BK make a reed I think.

Really cool to see Mr. Rowsome work.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com