What if ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
m4malious
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What if ?

Post by m4malious »

In relation to D set volume, it's of potential interest to note that the Reid 1936 set as played by O'Flynn had "narrow bore" drones as part of its design spec.
That may speak volumes (no pun) about what Sean Reids view was.
M
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

A good wide bore chanter should be able to accept reeds that will produce various volumes from earsplittenboomerpipes to softcottonwooltonepipes.
More so than narrow bore , which can be very forgiving. The tone of WB is very reed dependant . Which can be a double edged sword because if they are reeded badly they can sound horrendous.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I'm on the fence about getting a concert set or a Flat set, concert sets seem much more widely available, but Flat sets, there's something about them, I feel they suit me much better than any concert set would.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Get a flat set and keep a spare D chanter in your case.
PJ
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Knew I made the right call then. After ten forcking years, I finally bit the bullet and have a full flat set on order. A full set of C sharp pipes by Andreas Rogge
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

m4malious wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:24 pm In relation to D set volume, it's of potential interest to note that the Reid 1936 set as played by O'Flynn had "narrow bore" drones as part of its design spec.
That may speak volumes (no pun) about what Sean Reids view was.
M
Interesting. The bores look, if anything, a bit big to me.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com