Who is "Rusovius", who once refurbished Thomas Scott pipes ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tomcan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Who is "Rusovius", who once refurbished Thomas Scott pipes ?

Post by Tomcan »

Hello. experts,
I have refurbished a set of pipes, made by Thomas Scott in about 1810, having belonged to Hans Jörg Podworny, which was subject of several topics here. It bears the inscription SCOTUS FECIT RUSOVIUS REFECIT on the mainstock below the bass regulator bar. ("Scott made, Rusovius refurbished it") Who has any idea who was this man ? Rowsome latinised ? There will be a report in the next issue of An Píobaire about my experiences during refurbishing. May be heared and seen on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExF053 ... 0QQqzfsr8I The set plays well now, and shows interesting differences to nowadays full sets concerning the regulator setup. It seems to be an extremely early full set in an experimenting state of development. Resembles William Talbot's set.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Who is "Rusovius", who once refurbished Thomas Scott pipes ?

Post by PJ »

Very interesting. I don't know who "Rusovius" is, but your suggestion that it is a latinized version Rousome/Rowsome is not unreasonable.

Regarding the set, what pitch is it? Sounds approx C#. Could you post some photos of it?
PJ
Tomcan

Post by Tomcan »

The set is in slightly sharp of B ( 20 cents).

I don't know how to post a picture into this post. Sorry.

There will be all sorts of pictires in the coming issues of An Píobaire.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I have always wondered who the mysterious and elusive "Tomcan" was, only for me to find out that you are indeed the multidrone uileann piper! :D
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.