Is it possible?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Is it possible?

Post by rorybbellows »

As mentioned over on the other thread, Leo Rowsome reckoned that It should be possible to play a tune with the bellows disconnected. Anyone out there ever put it to the test and if you have done it, what pitch set and what tune. I'd be skeptical it could be done with a wide bore chanter.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
FlaminGalah
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Based in Australia.

Playing union pipes. I'm not very good at this yet.

Ask me about birds and behaviour.

Re: Is it possible?

Post by FlaminGalah »

What is “a” tune?

AB?
AABB?
AABBAABB?
ABCDEABCDE? (Yes that’s the Bucks)

The first, AB - yes sure, drones and chanter, esp if it uses nice closed phrasing.

Anything else, and I’d say it’s mythical. Belongs with 7 years this and 7 years that to be a piper.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

It depends on the size of the bag, I'd guess, as well as how hard the reed is... as well as how fast you're playing :) I'd guess at a relaxed speed, it might take about a minute to get through a tune once. At a faster, dance clip, between 30-45sec. I guess it's possible to play about that long on one bag's worth of air, at least on the 30 second end of the range anyway.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Maybe a deliberate use of hyperbole to encourage pipers to set up their pipes properly.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
FlaminGalah
Tell us something.: Based in Australia.

Playing union pipes. I'm not very good at this yet.

Ask me about birds and behaviour.

Post by FlaminGalah »

rorybbellows wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:47 pm Maybe a deliberate use of hyperbole to encourage pipers to set up their pipes properly.
RORY
I think that's it. A firm instruction to seek help or make adjustments if you are pumping like mad or squeezing too hard.

I think it might be possible with some flat sets or very lightly set concerts for short tunes, in the right circumstances, with a confident player, in a tight fingering style, during a full moon, with 68.3758% humidity.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

rorybbellows wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:47 pm Maybe a deliberate use of hyperbole to encourage pipers to set up their pipes properly.
It was amazing to see Paddy Moloney pumping like mad and him just playing the chanter.

I can't even imagine playing a set that leaked that much.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Happens to the greatest, Liam going pretty much hell for leather in this clip. Doesn't take much, a wonky valve or a loosening joint and you are using the bellows like a compressor
https://youtu.be/tsPcjlmnp1U
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think it might be possible with some flat sets or very lightly set concerts for short tunes, in the right circumstances, with a confident player, in a tight fingering style, during a full moon, with 68.3758% humidity.
My C set could do it, no bother. It was my party piece for students who over-worked the bellows for a long time. Still on the original 1986 bag that at this stage owes me nothing, it has become more difficult.

Leo Rowsome was well known for knowing how to set up a set of pipes well. I don't think it was hyperbole on his part.

And I don't think 'tight style' uses less air, unless you clip your notes very short ofcourse.
My brain hurts

MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

rorybbellows wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:28 am Happens to the greatest, Liam going pretty much hell for leather in this clip. Doesn't take much, a wonky valve or a loosening joint and you are using the bellows like a compressor
I've seen his bellows after it had been replaced - there were several holes in the gusset!
Sillysausage1968
Tell us something.: bitter and twisted......................reed making can crush.....and most always does..............

Post by Sillysausage1968 »

The bag and bellows are to work in unison to make jazz effortless..... but the bellows are the engine https://youtu.be/MCbtkr6bnpg..makes zero sense, to me at any rate, to be left arm dominant....right arm for the ciotóg.......and where were my manners?...thank-you to the moderators and back room team for the ad....
Last edited by Sillysausage1968 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

As occasionally happens, the airway from my bellows to the bag will occasionally pop out in the middle of a tune. If I'm playing just the chanter (no drones/regs), and if the bag is at full pressure, I can probably play half a tune (ex. 2 B parts) before running out of air. However, I'm usually doubled-over the bag at that point, squeezing the last molecules of air out of it, and probably rushing to finish the tune. It doesn't sound nice to play like that and it's not something I strive to be good at. I prefer having a firm connection to the bellows. It's like driving on the highway when the fuel light has come on, and you don't know when you'll stall.
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Hi Sillysausage1968, welcome to the forum. You're doing the what now?
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Sillysausage1968
Tell us something.: bitter and twisted......................reed making can crush.....and most always does..............

Post by Sillysausage1968 »

Thank-you for the warm welcome Rory.

SS
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

You're welcome, always good to have new members on the forum. Looking forward to your contributions.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Ian Lawther
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ian Lawther »

RORY
This could be the case. I have had occasions when teaching Northumbrian pipes to others where I have had students who overblow their pipes and are convinced that they are not able to get enough air into the bag. I have had them inflate the bag and then told then to play a tune while I uncouple the bellows and make them play until the air is gone. Most are very surprised how long they go before there is not enough air to get a sound, but usually it is no more than once through a single part, if that.