Small leaks in bag

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
gentlemanpiper

Small leaks in bag

Post by gentlemanpiper »

Can you use glue to seal small leaks? Like fantastic elastic?
Flotineer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Re: Small leaks in bag

Post by Flotineer »

I’ve used a leather patch w/barge cement. I know that’ll work, but I haven’t heard of your brand.
gentlemanpiper

Post by gentlemanpiper »

I think it's a small leak coming from where the stock is tied into the bag. Is there a simple solution?
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

Mainstock or chanter stock?
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

It seems to me that there's not a leak in the bag but the tie-in is leaking, which makes a big difference.
If the tie-in is of the star shaped kind it is very well possible that it is leaking in one (or more) of the corners, if the tie-in had not been firm enough. The solution would be, untie the stock, shove it a bit further into the bag and retie. Particularly the main stock can be a bit nasty to tie in, if you haven't done it before you should probably leave this task to your pipemaker.
If, however, the leak is in the bag leather next to the stock, there is not much you can do - you cannot patch it because of the stock, and glue on its own won't do the job (although you might try if the leak is very small - there's not much to loose).
gentlemanpiper

Post by gentlemanpiper »

I'm not certain but I now think the leak is coming from a very small hole in the stock where the blowpipe is connected
I'll try some blue tac later.

Thanks for all your advice.