The Piper's Despair (D M Quinn)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
redbranchknight67
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been learning uilleann pipes for many years and would be interested to talk to other pipers here.

The Piper's Despair (D M Quinn)

Post by redbranchknight67 »

I'd be grateful if anybody could tell me where I might get a copy of The Piper's Despair. I realize it's a few years old but I see many references to it and there don't seem to be any copies on sale in the usual places. As my reedmaking improves I'm guessing from what I know of it that it would be a great help. I've also searched for contact details for David Quinn but haven't managed to find any.

Regards, Tony.
Kuddel
Tell us something.: Living near hannover lower saxony germany and try to play pipes selfteached since 1980, now mainly on a flat set by Andreas

Re: The Piper's Despair (D M Quinn)

Post by Kuddel »

Hi
got my copy in 2019 via Nick Whitmer

Whitmerpipes.com
redbranchknight67
Tell us something.: I've been learning uilleann pipes for many years and would be interested to talk to other pipers here.

Thank you Kuddel for your help. Nick and i are in contact.

Regards

Tony
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

Hi Red,
I'm glad you've got a contact for the book. I've seen a copy and I think there's stuff in there that you won't find anywhere else.

By the way, I hope you don't mind me sayin' but that sure is some "nom de plume" you've got there. I don't know whether to be impressed or downright scared!
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

And don't forget to rely on the videos from NPU for reedmaking.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
redbranchknight67

Driftwood wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:32 pm Hi Red,
I'm glad you've got a contact for the book. I've seen a copy and I think there's stuff in there that you won't find anywhere else.

By the way, I hope you don't mind me sayin' but that sure is some "nom de plume" you've got there. I don't know whether to be impressed or downright scared!
Thanks for your comments Driftwood. I'm hoping it will help me answer a few more of the thousands of questions I have about making reeds.

BTW the Red Branch Knights were a mythical bunch of warriors who supposedly served the king of Ulster in the 3rd century. Sometimes I feel just as old as that!
redbranchknight67

elbowmusic wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:08 pm And don't forget to rely on the videos from NPU for reedmaking.
Thanks elbow those videos are a wonderful resource, both the earlier ones and the newer.

I'm hoping to get to a stage where I can confidently make an adjustment to a reed without having too many unexpected consequences!
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

Don't we all!
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com