where to sell a half set of pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Clancysinger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love the Ueileann Pipes especially the old flat sets which for me have a sweeter sound. Years ago I owned a beautiful flat set made by Geoff Wooff. They were a half set in C and really sang, unfortunately I sold them and stopped the pipes to take up another instrument. About 6 years ago I got on Derrick Gleesons list who studied pipe making with Geoff. Derricks pipes have a similar sound, look and feel to Woofs. I would not want to be on the end of Woofs list as the list streches into the afterlife which is apt really as his pipes used to often transport me to another time.

where to sell a half set of pipes

Post by Clancysinger »

Which would be the best sites to advertise a half set I will be putting up for sale ?

Many thanks
daveboling

Re: where to sell a half set of pipes

Post by daveboling »

Contact Patrick D'Arcy, and put them on uilleannobsession.com. When the set sells, just remember to pay the small fee he asks and not stiff him.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Most action appears to be on social media these days. I would try one of the Piping groups on Facebook.

James, this is the second time you have done this, it is not a good look. The first time you made a considerable profit on my work, though the set went to a very good home ! I hope this time around Derrick's set finds a deserving new owner too.

Geoff.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There's an uilleann pipes buy/sell FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1432003387070305
PJ
Clancysinger
Tell us something.: I love the Ueileann Pipes especially the old flat sets which for me have a sweeter sound. Years ago I owned a beautiful flat set made by Geoff Wooff. They were a half set in C and really sang, unfortunately I sold them and stopped the pipes to take up another instrument. About 6 years ago I got on Derrick Gleesons list who studied pipe making with Geoff. Derricks pipes have a similar sound, look and feel to Woofs. I would not want to be on the end of Woofs list as the list streches into the afterlife which is apt really as his pipes used to often transport me to another time.

Post by Clancysinger »

Hi Geoff,
I contacted you out of respect to let you know I had to sell them a couple of years after buying them to fund a court custody battle over my daughter. It broke my heart to sell them and I regretted it for years after. It was never my intention to get on a list and make money from a set but the guy was desperate to buy them and offered me a price I could not refuse. I have not picked up a set in twenty years and I am just not getting on with this set and need to focus just on playing the banjo. If I could turn back the clock I would not have ordered them and was in two minds when my name came up but did not want to mess Derrick around. I have contacted Derrick out of respect to let him know I am not getting on with them and that I will be advertising them for exactly what I payed for them. I will not be looking to make a profit and may even loose money.

When one is chasing ones dreams especially with choosing a musical instrument we can all make mistakes and yes I have now done it for the second time and this time around I do not wish to profit just recoup most of the money I have spent.

I wish both you and Derrick all the best....you are both true artists and Gentlemen and I am sorry if I have upset either of you it was not my intention.

James
Clancysinger

Post by Clancysinger »

Thank you for the heads up on Uilleann Obsessions and they are now advertised....I would not dream of not paying the commision !

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html#568
Clancysinger

Post by Clancysinger »

I have read back on my post and realised I should have credited Derricks artistry in crafting the pipes and attention to detail and explain properly the reason I have put the set up for sale so soon after ordering them. It has nothing to do with the stunning quality of these pipes but my own lack of time I have given them due concentration problems as I suffer from both adult ADHD and bi polar disorder and have a history of buying instruments and then not having the focus to get past the first stage of learning. It is embarrassing for me to admit this and also makes me feel ashamed but I need to say the problem here is me and not Derricks beautiful pipes. Sonically they have the old world sound and play beautifully with a perfect balance between the drones and the chanter.
Derrick has been an absolute Gentleman and joy to deal with the patience of a saint especially with the unusual request for Dorian mode tunings and the acid stained box wood. He spent countless hours with emailing and phone calls discussing the set and when I flew out both times he picked me up and dropped me back to the airport and fed me.

It has been over twenty years since I picked up Geoffs beautiful set he made me and my muscle memory has gone so I underestimated how much work it would take to get back to where I was. I am often highly impulsive and make snap decisions which I then regret which is one of the main symptoms of both ADHD and bipolar and has played havoc in my life and those around me.... There Ive said it !

I really havn't given the set the time it deserves so have decided to take them down and have booked some lessons in with a piper not far from me. I will get a practice bag and put the drones to one side for a few months until I have got to grips with the chanter, bags and bellows. I have to at least give this set a proper go before selling so quickly.

Once again I am both sorry and embarrassed for any upset I have caused to Derrick and was genuinely over the moon with his work....but just need to try and find a way to practice and concentrate.. Please no advice on my learning difficulties ....I have been so candid not to air my condition but to explain why I put the set up so quickly as I dont want anyone on the forum to think Derricks artistry and craft is in Question here as it absolutely is not !

I am now sending an email to Uilleann Obsessions to take the add down and will try to give the set the time it deserves.
I would appreciate no comments on my learning difficulties as I feel bad enough about all of this !

I
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Ah you're grand, don't worry about it.
RORY
Ps what's dorion mode.
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

rorybbellows wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:17 am Ps what's dorion mode.
The minor E scale on a D chanter, flute or whistle is Dorian mode.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Nanohedron wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:49 am
rorybbellows wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:17 am Ps what's dorion mode.
The minor E scale on a D chanter, flute or whistle is Dorian mode.
How would that differ from a regular just intoned chanter
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Maybe he means a chanter tuned the Dorian mode instead of Ionian (normal Dmaj scale), but you would have to ask Clancysinger about that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Clancysinger wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:28 amI really havn't given the set the time it deserves so have decided to take them down and have booked some lessons in with a piper not far from me. I am now sending an email to Uilleann Obsessions to take the add down and will try to give the set the time it deserves.
I
You might want to take the set off the facebook for sale site as well, as some might think you are still trying to sell the set.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .